Weird reverse issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
TH350

When the trans is cold, like sitting for several days, when I put it into reverse it doesn't always immediately go into gear. This almost never happens when the truck has been running for a while. Am I looking at a complete overhaul? Truck has very low miles ~57,000.

Radiohead

Reducing tire diameter 1000 revolutions at once
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Fluid level cold is correct?

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
Fluid level cold is correct?
sometimes. It has a speedo cable leak as well as a pan leak. Planning on fixing both of those this weekend.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If that’s your only concern, relax.

After sitting a few days the torque converter naturally drains into the pan. Once you start the truck it takes a couple seconds to refill the converter.

Regardless of what people say, there is no reason to fear changing the fluid and filter on a high mileage transmission, assuming the trans works correctly BEFORE dropping the pan. It’s good preventative maintenance.

If it makes you feel better, drop the pan, replace the filter. This is a perfect opportunity to see how much crap is in the pan. Hopefully, there is just a little debris and crud in the pan, that’s normal clutch and bushing wear. Replace the filter, put a magnet in the pan (assuming the trans didn’t have one) reinstall the pan and refill.

Unless you have other problems, or see something really bad in the pan, I wouldn’t have it overhauled.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I'll go one further than what Matt said. R&R filter and put a drain plug in the pan( just to make life easy) drain an refill once a month. Although not perfect it will be damnbnear a complete fluid exchange.