Weatherstripping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Need15

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just curious what brands everyone is using for weathstripping? Looking at the Fairchild, SoffSeal, or Precison brands to replace it all on the 82 k10 I'm working on. Thanks

Knight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I ordered the rear cargo door set from Steele rubber based on really good recommendations from here. It hasn't arrived yet. I have heard good things about precision too though and that's what's in a box in the garage for my 72.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am about to use steele rubber set on my 89 trans am in a couple of weeks. Thinking maybe should have went with soffseal, but going to find out soon. I have tried Fairchild before and was not happy with them. Especially on the way seals designed for the f bodies, fairchild pieces were falling to pieces on install.

EcoK20

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Has there been any update on people's reviews? Getting ready to do a couple trucks and not sure if the RockAuto offerings (Fairchild and Precision) will be worth the money.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Used precision on 99 tahoe and steele on 89 TA. TA took a while for doors to close more reasonable

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Think I used precision, but I did what any guy would do. Got on eBay and sorted cheapest first and bought that one! :Big Laugh:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My door seals were fairly new so didn’t replace them. But replaced the rest of the rubber and felts in the cab. Most of it is Precision. Nothing leaks and it seems to be quality materials. But the side window felts and wing windows aren’t airtight. She whistles a tune at highway speeds.
If going precision seals, look up Jon Addington or Mister As Parts on FB. Or wherever. He’s a local squarebody guy up here. Parts out trucks too for all you guys looking for parts. He’s a Precision dealer. Price was fair and service was top notch.
You know, if you like that old school , actually talk to someone and they ship your stuff right away type service!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My door seals were fairly new so didn’t replace them. But replaced the rest of the rubber and felts in the cab. Most of it is Precision. Nothing leaks and it seems to be quality materials. But the side window felts and wing windows aren’t airtight. She whistles a tune at highway speeds.
If going precision seals, look up Jon Addington or Mister As Parts on FB. Or wherever. He’s a local squarebody guy up here. Parts out trucks too for all you guys looking for parts. He’s a Precision dealer. Price was fair and service was top notch.
You know, if you like that old school , actually talk to someone and they ship your stuff right away type service!
do you have a high trim truck from the late 80s(I think you have more than one truck?)
There are seals that go on the door panel, by the handle, and on the door that are not found on all trucks, but could be added. The part numbers likely are no good anymore but the diagrams were helpful to show how to install and thus someone could do it if they found suitable products.
You must be registered for see images attach

I Do apologize for the PDF being long and possibly small text, its a long TSB and capturing it in one screenshot made it more clear and flowing. Heres a quick snippet of whats in the pdf:

also found this:

Attachments

• Alldata online.pdf
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 93

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
do you have a high trim truck from the late 80s(I think you have more than one truck?)
There are seals that go on the door panel, by the handle, and on the door that are not found on all trucks, but could be added. The part numbers likely are no good anymore but the diagrams were helpful to show how to install and thus someone could do it if they found suitable products.

I Do apologize for the PDF being long and possibly small text, its a long TSB and capturing it in one screenshot made it more clear and flowing. Heres a quick snippet of whats in the pdf:

also found this:
Thank you for this AG!
The wind noise is certainly from the wing windows. DS is much better. PS fits like poo and I added a piece of soft rubber inside the OE seal which got most of it. I think that’s a combo of oldtruckitis and reproduction seals maybe not being 100%. The window felt surrounds also both leave a very small gap in the upper front corner. Don’t leak water but the window doesn’t roll up any further and the power windows work like butter so not even going to mess with them!

I do have a high option 86. (Only square btw). And what you posted IS happening 100% also.
With a window open, air blows through inside the door handles like mad.
I’ll look to see if the inside door panel window wiper seals also pull away like mentioned.
I’ll blow up the diagram on the computer later. Fixing the air through the door handles would be key! I don’t think that’s the “noise” but I can absolutely see why GM added seals. And can confirm that none of those addd seals are or were present when I had the doors apart.

Sorry for the thread hijack OP but this was great info by @AuroraGirl.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxracing254