Want to change running gear fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I was thinking I’d cut it still on the truck. Anything wrong with that?

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Why in your guys opinion would the US Gov’t order the cucv with the np208 when the 205 is regarded as the stronger option by 4wd enthusiasts?

I see some came with the 205 when PTO equipped. But the majority seem to run 208s. Cost saving measure? Ease of maintenance?

Cost, they don't care, it only had to meet required specs, which the 208 does.

My CUCV Blazer has 10 bolts lol, they didn't really do anything with them but drive them around on base. They didn't haul stuff, they weren't front line battle vehicles, just simple butt haulers.

As far a fluid, I just use Spurtech from Walmart.

The only answer I found that really made sense when I asked that, was the 208 had a better low range. The 205 goes down 2:1, whereas the 208 gets you 2.6 or 2.7:1

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I have Th400s from 1 tons they have factory deep pans. There is a but though. To run the 1 ton 400 you need a “special” slip yoke as they have a fixed home. On my V10 I had a spacer made because the output shaft is the wrong length. It can be switched out for the right length shaft but I didn’t feel like it. Lol also I meant deep pan not real pan stupid phone.

If his trans is also from a cucv, then that might have a deeper pan on it, being it was a 5/4 ton.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If his trans is also from a cucv, then that might have a deeper pan on it, being it was a 5/4 ton.
What is this 5/4 ton? Or is it a typo for 3/4 accually not busting anyone’s ass I’m just wondering.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Shoot they are super crusty leaf springs anyway. I’ll just wait to do the bushings and get a properly arced, softer spring.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Any recommendations on aftermarket pan with drain plug or just stick with oem? I don’t think it’s leaking currently, but can’t be sure as the truck is almost always parked over dirt, grass or gravel.

I would be wary of aftermarket stamped steel pans, they commonly get made from thinner gauge steel than the factory pans. If you go aftermarket, I would look for a good reputable cast one.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Shoot they are super crusty leaf springs anyway. I’ll just wait to do the bushings and get a properly arced, softer spring.
There you go do it once and do it right.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
What is this 5/4 ton? Or is it a typo for 3/4 accually busting anyone’s ass I’m just wondering.

Just another way the military refered to the cucv's. They broke the gvw down to 5900lbs vehicle weight + 400lbs for occupants +2500lbs cargo = 8800lbs gvw.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It’s actually a crap setup unless you carry heavy loads in the bed. It’s stiffer than a honeymoon you know what.

I’ve legit had 3000lbs in the bed and it rode great! I’m not thinking they did anything special to the sheet metal on the bed, so it may still be a bad plan!!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
It was designed in a time when people only bought heavy trucks if they hauled heavy loads. Before they decided to cater to the soccer mom market.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
It was designed in a time when people only bought heavy trucks if they hauled heavy loads. Before they decided to cater to the soccer mom market.

Yep. About the most weight it’ll carry in retirement is a trail width side by side or a couple of dirt bikes.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You mean hauling heavy loads opposed to taking them like the owners of the lifted fagmobiles on the dealer lots these days.....right?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg