Vortex heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Vortex = Vortec

just like

Eldebrock = Edelbrock

Actually, the couple of times I have seen Vortex being used in local ads, it turns out they are the swirl port heads that have the center bolt valve covers like the real Vortecs.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't low ball them... day no wat dey gots!!

I just ran across some Dart SHP 200's on Marketplace. Those would be cool on my truck...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Doze vortex is da beez neez, huh @Rusty Nail , just ax us, wheel telz ya

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Vortec lives in Rusty's head rent free. Comical.

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’m not sure if this thread has devolved into bashing vortecs or not...

But it’s pretty hard to argue that they’re hands down one of the best flowing gen 1 sbc heads available and it sure is nice running a roller cam with the majority of oils available on the market today.

It’s not just my opinion. It’s the opinion of the majority of engine builders whose content I’ve read or watched.

If the cost is the argument, maybe you’re just not doing it right...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

But it’s pretty hard to argue that they’re hands down one of the best flowing gen 1 sbc heads available and it sure is nice running a roller cam with the majority of oils available on the market today.

It’s not just my opinion. It’s the opinion of the majority of engine builders whose content I’ve read or watched.

I personally love the increase in power of my vortecs, along with the 300hp/327 camshaft kit. The truck pulls with ease.

Rusty has knowledge of other heads that will perform well. While I didn't have that knowledge when I bought my vortecs, I am not regretting buying them at all. And, my engine looks stock, so when I go to get the truck smogged, it passes the sniffer and the visual, no problem. When I swapped them on, I didn't do the cam swap. I did that later when I pulled the engine to reseal it. The cam swap was a night and day difference with the vortecs.

Last edited:

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Nobody is bashing Vortec cylinder heads. At least not from when I jumped in. All the soot talk above that I didn't even read.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Vortex engine lawsuit

Made to fail and burn oil.
Wonder why the junkyard is full of them?
ALREADY?

Look

GM VORTEC CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED OVER ENGINES

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/gm-vortec-class-action-lawsuit-engines.shtml

You must be registered for see images attach

Mmhmmm so great..I wanna hack one into my 40 year old junk that made it all this time without it. Uhhh huhhhh. Super kewl dude. Great idea !

That says "Vortec" though...I guess the Vortex ones are good then? Yeah?

Last edited:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Vortex engine lawsuit

Made to fail and burn oil.
Wonder why the junkyard is full of them?
ALREADY?

Look

GM VORTEC CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FILED OVER ENGINES

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2020/gm-vortec-class-action-lawsuit-engines.shtml

You must be registered for see images attach

Mmhmmm so great..I wanna hack one into my 40 year old junk that made it all this time without it. Uhhh huhhhh. Super kewl dude. Great idea !

That says "Vortec" though...I guess the Vortex ones are good then? Yeah?
That’s not a gen 1 vortec engine, but an LS. The early DOD in LS engines was definitely an issue though.

Who TF goes by the oil percentage thing in the computer anyhow? I go about 5,000 miles and check the level a few times along the way on my new Chevy. Some folks need a computer to replace common sense I guess.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I'll throw my 2 cents in here about Vortec heads...

They don't like cold weather in winter. These heads got rid of the heat passage under the carb/TBI. Ice cold intake manifold is not good for keeping fuel suspended into the incoming air. Fuel drops out, puddles on the intake manifold floor, car coughs, chugs, sputters and runs like crap for the first 20 minutes or so.

Heads are made for dry manifolds... manifolds that have individual fuel injectors for each cylinder at the valves themselves. In this case a cold intake = more power!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115