Vortec head swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Hey there gmsb,
Quick question. I have a pair of vortec heads but nothing else. What else will i need to complete the swap? I know that I'll need the intake manifold, but I was hoping someone here has done it. I've read a few guys that have done this but I was hoping for some live help. Have a good night guys

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey there gmsb,
Quick question. I have a pair of vortec heads but nothing else. What else will i need to complete the swap? I know that I'll need the intake manifold, but I was hoping someone here has done it. I've read a few guys that have done this but I was hoping for some live help. Have a good night guys

Intake is pretty much it, along with centerbolt valve covers. Retune the carb and go.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Intake is pretty much it, along with centerbolt valve covers. Retune the carb and go.

I read something about like pistons and roller ahem. And lifter arms? And well gaskets did you do this to your 350sbc?

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I read something about like pistons and roller ahem. And lifter arms? And well gaskets did you do this to your 350sbc?

Pistons arnt different. And the valve train will work. Yes, you will need new gaskets.

And like jim said. You will need an intake.

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Pistons arnt different. And the valve train will work. Yes, you will need new gaskets.

And like jim said. You will need an intake.

Okay thank you guys for the input, I got caught up in reading I guess and convinced myself that it was harder than it was, so I'd be alright with out getting "self aligning rocker arms" ?

That ks guys I managed to find an d hidden thread and I think it answers most of my questions. I appreciate the help

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ill be corrected if im wrong im pretty sure you either need self aligning rockers arms or pushrod guide plates.

My question about this build is whether when i put my vortecs on am I going to need premium.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ill be corrected if im wrong im pretty sure you either need self aligning rockers arms or pushrod guide plates.

My question about this build is whether when i put my vortecs on am I going to need premium.

Shouldnt need primium, vortecs are 64cc chambers. I would get the guide plates.

1984c10

Reaction score
First Name
not wasting time here
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7 350
I got the 062 castings for $50, summit stage 1 intake $125, valve covers came with bolts,gaskets and grommets from ebay $55. intake gasket $25. throttle bracket $10 from summit. almost forgot. vortec intake bolts arp $20 summit

Last edited:

1981scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
devin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
I got the 062 castings for $50, summit stage 1 intake $125, valve covers came with bolts,gaskets and grommets from ebay $55. intake gasket $25. throttle bracket $10 from summit. almost forgot. vortec intake bolts arp $20 summit

How did you get the Castings for so cheap? found them at a junk yard? Thank you for atleast some help, this is turning into more of a project that i thought lol If you happen to have any links Left from what you bought id apprecaite it as well!:boti:

1984c10

Reaction score
First Name
not wasting time here
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7 350
How did you get the Castings for so cheap? found them at a junk yard? Thank you for atleast some help, this is turning into more of a project that i thought lol If you happen to have any links Left from what you bought id apprecaite it as well!:boti:

I got them off craigslist. The guy had a few pairs. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-226018
Dont have the other links right now. Ill try and post them later

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Do I need to machine where the rocker sits or get screw in studs if i add guide plates?

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Does it matter what intake manifold gaskets I get? Are they size specific similar to head gaskets?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels