Vibrations in drivetrain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Is there any best way to do this?

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I'm not sure if there is a write up on how to. I have the NP208 transfer case and this is what I had to do.

Remove the rear drive shaft, remove the slip yoke, remove the 4 bolts that hold the rear housing on the transfer case. Either drain the transfer case first or put a pan under neath to catch fluid.

Note: the housing cover is aluminum and is easily damaged from prying or striking with a hammer. Use care when handling and removing/installing parts.

Remove the cover, remove the seal from the housing, remove the bearing, press the bushing thru the back of the cover. Install a new bushing, press the bearing back in, install a new seal. I used a little bit of gray RTF on the rim of the housing and reinstalled it. Reinstall the slip yoke, driveshaft and then refill the transfer case. Drive around, check for leaks.

Last edited:

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
I'm not sure if there is a write up on how to. I have the NP208 transfer case and this is what I had to do.

Remove the rear drive shaft, remove the slip yoke, remove the 4 bolts that hold the rear housing on the transfer case. Either drain the transfer case first or put a pan under neath to catch fluid.

Note: the housing cover is aluminum and is easily damaged from prying or striking with a hammer. Use care when handling and removing/installing parts.

Remove the cover, remove the seal from the housing, remove the bearing, press the bushing thru the back of the cover. Install a new bushing, press the bearing back in, install a new seal. I used a little bit of gray RTF on the rim of the housing and reinstalled it. Reinstall the slip yoke, driveshaft and then refill the transfer case. Drive around, check for leaks.

I don't have a transfer case. So this should be a fairly easy fix then right?
I never have taken a tailshaft apart before.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I don't have a transfer case. So this should be a fairly easy fix then right?
I never have taken a tailshaft apart before.
Ah my bad. I did not realize there was no TC. :eek: I'm not sure of the process to replace the bushing on your truck.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Ah my bad. I did not realize there was no TC. :eek: I'm not sure of the process to replace the bushing on your truck.

Do you think the procedure will be somewhat similar you yours?

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
Was doing a readup on another thread on this forum and I was wondering if the harmonic balancer could cause this vibration?

Its not as bad as now but its still there.

Driveshaft is tight with very little play. My 92 has more play and it doesn't vibrate.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
What transmission do you have? Check if the balancer is coming apart, there is a rubber material between two pieces of the balancer and if it starts to deteriorate it can cause vibrations and the balancer will separate. Also check your differentials just to be sure

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
What transmission do you have? Check if the balancer is coming apart, there is a rubber material between two pieces of the balancer and if it starts to deteriorate it can cause vibrations and the balancer will separate. Also check your differentials just to be sure

I believe its the TH350.

It only has 3 speeds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising