Vibration/grinding sound when under light throttle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I NEED HELP; I cannot diagnose a strange sound coming from my trucks driveline. When at highway speeds usually 60mph or above, if I go light on the throttle, I get this vibration/grinding sound (it is extremely bad when I utilize the cruise control). similar to when you strip a bolt, and the socket keeps spinning over it :shrug: I took it to the mechanic, and he said U joints, but I replaced them this morning, and it didnt change a thing. It is a moving part (obviously) but idk which one. Its coming from the rear of the vehicle, maybe the differential? or could it be the transfer case? Rear end has plenty of lubrication. My transfer case (np208) for some reason is covered in mud (the only part of the vehicle that is) and has a slow leak coming from the bottom, but it works fine (with a little elbow grease). The transmission VERY audibly changes gears, especially to reverse, if that helps.....but I am out of Ideas. wheel bearings do not make this noise, correct?
ANY ADVISE IS GREATLY APPRICIATED

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Figured it out. My rear yoke nut was loose. Tightened that sucker up, and the sound is gone :)

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Good catch. If the rear yoke/u-joints failed on the highway, it would have been messy. Dropping a driveline under speed is never pretty.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Good catch. If the rear yoke/u-joints failed on the highway, it would have been messy. Dropping a driveline under speed is never pretty.

You're right. Its scary to think about.... I put quite a few highway miles on that truck before realizing this was happening (speakers blew, and I had no choice but to let the truck talk to me lol). Could have hurt somebody

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels