Vacum advanced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Off-road dipper

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just put a new distributor on my motor and it won't idle in drive only on park or nuetral. I haven't put the vacum advanced stop plate in yet because I'm not sure how to
Here the instructions http://www.msdignition.com/instructions/Products/84281.pdf

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Have you checked the base timing - you know just to be sure you stabbed the distributor correctly? Even the best of us sometimes drop the distributor in with the drive gear one tooth ahead of where it should be on the cam gear.

Shoot it with a timing light and see where you're firing (10 BTDC is a good rough starting point). If the mark is way off the scale, pull the distributor and re-stab.

I wouldn't worry about the stop plate yet, get it timed so that it can idle in "D" first.

Last edited:

Off-road dipper

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Have you checked the base timing - you know just to be sure you stabbed the distributor correctly? Even the best of us sometimes drop the distributor in with the drive gear one tooth ahead of where it should be on the cam gear.

Shoot it with a timing light and see where you're firing (10 BTDC is a good rough starting point). If the mark is way off the scale, pull the distributor and re-stab.

I wouldn't worry about the stop plate yet, get it timed so that it can idle in "D" first.

Does 18 sound right for a mildly built motor?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah, that's okay - and not the problem.

Think about what else you might have altered/disturbed/modified in the process of changing the distributor.

I assume it idled okay (in R/D) prior to the distributor change. How when in P/N now, does it idle smoothly or does it just barely hang in there?

There's not much I can offer without being there. You might try going back to the old distributor and seeing what happens. If the old distributor won't hold idle either, something else got changed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dhaayer