Upgrading 1987 R10 A/C to R134a parts / questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Well this was some great advice. Tested the line down to the blower motor was receiving 12v, grabbed a new blower motor for $40 at AutoZone and we've got air (not cold yet, but it is a great start :))

Will continue on to the compressor now and see if we can bring this old thing back to life. Thanks again!

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'm looking at having to buy A/C manifold gauges that work with R12 to check the current system. Also looking at the price it's not going to be cheap to recharge the compressor.

Looking at some other threads there is a lot of recommendations to switch to the Sanden compressors. I'm pretty sure the current compressor is shot (it's what the previous owner mentioned to me).

I feel like I'd be crazy to spend $50 on gauges (I can only rent some from AutoZone for r134a) and then $150 or so on R12 if I could just spend ~$400 to replace the compressor and upgrade to R134a.

Am I crazy to think that way?

Nuckollsr

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
R1500
Engine Size
4.3L
I have an 87 R1500 GMC inherited from my father about 10 years ago with only 35K miles on it but shelled a/c compressor. Replaced with new compressor OILED for R134a after replacing accumulator/dryer and flushing coils/hoses.

Flushed the system with acetone by pouring into openings with a hose/funnel rig then blowing out with an air hose having a rubber cone tip to achieve good seal to the fitting. After three 'flushes' and extended release of air into the system until I could no longer smell the acetone in the exhaust air. Put it all back together and pumped it down.

Charged with 2# 134a and re-adjusted low pressure switch to run longer compressor ON intervals at highway travel on warm day. I jury-rigged a light bulb in cab to show when the lo-pressure switch was operating. The conversion works just fine for the last 8+ years.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
When I converted my 87 R10, I replaced all of the AC components as well.
While I was there, changed from v-belt to serpentine setup from a 90 burb.

Have been running 134a for the last 4-5 years.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
When I converted my 87 R10, I replaced all of the AC components as well.
While I was there, changed from v-belt to serpentine setup from a 90 burb.

Have been running 134a for the last 4-5 years.

Nice to know. How difficult was the belt conversion? I'm assuming you had to use a different compressor?

Last edited:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Nice to know. How difficult was the belt conversion? I'm assuming you had to use a different compressor?
Not hard to do if you have all the pieces from the donor. Same type of compressor but yes different since the pulley is for serpentine.
You do have to take the brackets, fan, fan clutch, alt, water pump etc... I basically took all of the front accessories from the burb.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Apologies for the dumb questions if they keep coming across that way >.<

So replaced the compressor and got everything back in place there. Even found one of the compressor mounting bolts and rattled loose at some point. While installing the new one I found it and saved a trip to go buy another one.

I went to the accumulator to replace it and noticed that the one they gave me has the R12 port still. Just to confirm this is expected and the retrofit kit I purchased should thread onto the two ports on the accumulator and that is all of the nozzles that need to be upgraded, correct? The SureBilt retrofit kit I bought from AutoZone shows that the Schrader valve needs to be removed from the lower port of the accumulator. Did I buy the wrong conversion kit or do I need to grab a tool to be able to remove that valve (and which valve is the lower one?)

Last question - I got a flush kit to use so just wanted to verify my steps -

1. Replace compressor (done)
2. Flush lines from end to end while components are unplugged. Using air, then the flush solution, then air again (correct?)
3. Change both R12 fittings on the accumulator to the R134a fittings using this conversion kit I bought - https://www.autozone.com/cooling-he...kR5d5k3_dhLwOzcSzOkaAkJzEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
4. Hook both the compressor and accumulator back up
5. Run vacuum pump on the system to check that it can hold vacuum
6. Recharge system with R134a

Does that all sound correct? Sorry for the newb questions again

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Ok fun times everything is installed and looks good. The adapter I bought requires removing the schrader valve from the low side port. Me being as smart as I am went ahead and bought a replacement for the high pressure port as well since I was replacing everything.

The stem came out but left the remainder of the core down in the hole as shown in the picture below. I grabbed a tool to remove broken cores but it feels like it is bottoming out and no matter how much I turn it's not grabbing it to pull out. Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
What if you take that section of hose off and cap one end then shoot compressed air in it. If you can't get it out, that's one of the few pieces you can still buy for about $40. AC Delco #15-33072.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
woops

Last edited:

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size

Hey I picked this part up and it has an extra port there in the picture you can see it on the left hand side after the first bend. I am going to have to take it back. Went to home depot and bought some screw removers and was finally able to get it to break free. We will see if another one still fits in there though.

Thanks again for your help.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
@Patrick Walters it should have the valve on it. I should have re-oriented the picture. The other 2 objects on the tube I believe are labels. Here's what was in my '85. Your's should be the same except a different compressor.

TX87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Yeah look at the pic of the ac Delco part tho it has an extra outlet of some sort right beside that port. I went all over town trying to find a plug to seal it with no luck. Luckily the screw extractor I bought was able to pull the core out of the original tube so I can take this one back. Even summit said it was a match

Edit :. Here is a side by side comparison

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pSqApnmW6BmRWSEx9

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk