Upgrade Battery Cables

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merlin3e9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5.7L
Does anyone know of a good company that sells quality pre-made battery cables for our trucks? I'm thinking of converting my side post cables to top post and upgrading the cables to a thicker gauge.

I've read through and searched the forum and saw where many made their own. That's probably ideal, but I don't have a crimping tool and torch to melt the solder.

I stumbled upon this site: https://www.custombatterycables.com/ and they seem like their products are legit. On Summit Racing, I saw a brand called Taylor Cable. Anyone have any experience with them?

I also saw where AC Delco makes replacement cables for our trucks. Any thoughts on those?

Does anyone happen to know the length and gauge of each cable? I can easily measure and try to determine the gauge, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask.

Thank you
Jason

richard A lindner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard lindner
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Find a alternator. Starter rebuild shop ,they should be able to make what you need

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Welding supply shop may be able to help you out. Some 2-0 welding cable should be an improvement over the stock stuff.

If the Taylor you are talking about is the same Taylor that makes spark plug wires, I have heard a lot of good things about their plug wires

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
You can make your own without a crimp tool. propane torch from home depot is cheaper than having them made.

Napa has a good selection of ends and cable. I use a center punch for my initial crimp. Put 1 dimple on one side and 2 dimple on the back side. Then use a propane torch and solder the ends. Concentrate your heat on the connector so you dont burn the insulation. I like to put some heat shrink on to make it look professional. Plus red heat shrink helps mark the pos. cable. I use the same method on anything larger than a 10 ga. wire .

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
We made a 0 gauge cable for a fiend's car using a tool like the one below. He bought the cable (by the foot) and connectors at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Just smack the anvil with a big sledge hammer and you're done. BTW, we used 0 gauge only because the battery is in the trunk. For normal 4-5 ft lengths, 4 gauge is usually fine, unless you have a winch or some other big loads.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just remembered that I bought some heat shrink and connectors from these guys last year. For battery cables, you choose the gauge, color, length, and connectors. Very reasonable prices!:)

https://www.batterycablesusa.com/00...aiiXiWfimXqWkXxV1dWO51qSlHWj5SMMaAgrYEALw_wcB

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Interstate battery sells ends with slugs of solder in them. You just heat up the end with a propane torch until the slug melts and then insert the cable end. When it cools, the end is tight and great connection. Looks clean as well!

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
heating only the lug and sticking a cold cable in the hot solder is not ideal, cold solder joint. either are those hammer crimpers. sure they both work but for how long, where and when is it going to fail?

I like to use military terminals on top post batteries then you only need eye terminals on the cable.

if you buy terminals from a stick and brick store take a magnet with you. if the magnet sticks to the terminal reject it.

unfortunately it's real hard to check for real copper if the terminals are already on.

for premade cables this place has a top rating I would use them before others, unless I had the correct crimping tool.

note all their stuff is top of the line marine grade,

http://www.genuinedealz.com/custom-cables/custom-battery-cable-assembly

highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena