Uh-oh: Dead Battery- one missing from Dual setup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
OK, so the battery on my '86 Burb bit the dust this morning. Luckily I had other options for getting to work. Here's my question:

It only has one of the 2 batteries under the hood (the one on the Driver side has been missing since I got it) and has always seemed a little sluggish to crank. I'm not familiar with the dual battery setups. Is having the one battery missing causing me problems? I'm going to pick up a new (better rated) battery for it tomorrow- am I going to kill the new one in short order if I leave only one battery under the hood?

Thanks,
-Josh

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
OK, so the battery on my '86 Burb bit the dust this morning. Luckily I had other options for getting to work. Here's my question:

It only has one of the 2 batteries under the hood (the one on the Driver side has been missing since I got it) and has always seemed a little sluggish to crank. I'm not familiar with the dual battery setups. Is having the one battery missing causing me problems? I'm going to pick up a new (better rated) battery for it tomorrow- am I going to kill the new one in short order if I leave only one battery under the hood?

Thanks,
-Josh
I have the same setup in my burb. The drivers side battery is part of the tow package, and is there to help with the extra load that trailer lights put on the system. i have an autozone yellow top battery in mine, and I have to say, it beats the **** outta the old Die Hard I had. Truck has been sitting months at a time up at my Inlaws place for a year, and it turns over like it has a geared mini starter every time I fire it up. Also, do yourself a favor, run a large gauge wire with a 30 amp fuse holder from the charge post on the alternator, to the positive battery post. one of the best cheap mods you will ever do. Use the same gauge wire, and add some extra grounds from the engine block, to the frame and body.

Last edited:

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
I have the same setup in my burb. The drivers side battery is part of the tow package, and is there to help with the extra load that trailer lights put on the system. i have an autozone yellow top battery in mine, and I have to say, it beats the **** outta the old Die Hard I had. Truck has been sitting months at a time up at my Inlaws place for a year, and it turns over like it has a geared mini starter every time I fire it up. Also, do yourself a favor, run a large gauge wire with a 30 amp fuse holder from the charge post on the alternator, to the positive battery post. one of the best cheap mods you will ever do. Use the same gauge wire, and add some extra grounds from the engine block, to the frame and body.

So missing or dead battery in the secondary spot isn't causing the alternator to work too hard or overcharge the primary battery, correct?

I like the fuse and extra ground suggestions. I've done similar on a couple of my other older cars.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
So missing or dead battery in the secondary spot isn't causing the alternator to work too hard or overcharge the primary battery, correct?

I like the fuse and extra ground suggestions. I've done similar on a couple of my other older cars.

Nope, I would check the integrity of the wires in the charging system....A few broken strands in a wire, is like trying to use a kinked garden hose.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
I'm about to throw the battery on my charger overnight and see if it holds a charge. Phoenix seems to be pretty rough on batteries- I know I've gone through a bunch in my other vehicles since I moved out here 3+ years ago.

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Aha! Think I found the problem. Looks like the battery is not correct for the primary location. I'm guessing the PO took the bigger battery out before I first looked at the 'burb. Nice.

:wtf2: :flame:

It does seem to be taking a charge. We'll see what it looks like in the morning.

-Josh

Attachments

• Battery1.jpg
    Battery1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 133

ScottyB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
phantom
Engine Size
2 squirrels
I had the same problem with my truck. Someone along the way (the PO Bragged about the relatively new battery) threw in the same size battery and I couldn't figure out why I could never get that 454 to turn over. I changed out the alternator and the starter before I discovered that little problem.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
And its an everstart. At least 600cca for a burb, more if its full power

suburble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban C20
Engine Size
Yup. I'm pretty amazed it lasted as long as it did, especially since the carb leaks down and does the "no gas crank" if it's parked for more than a day.

Picked up an O'reilly house brand "Super Start Extreme" at 850 CCA, with a $20 mail in rebate from the coupon section at the counter. It should be a huge improvement. I promised to let the 2 older boys "help" me hook it up tomorrow morning before school.

The smaller battery took a charge, so I'll keep it for now, and put it back over on the secondary side where it belongs.

-Josh

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I sell new Interstate batterys and I put 1000 cca ones in all my regular used trucks. I've found the most common thing that will drain a battery if it keeps going down is that the alternator regulator shorts out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruggedly