Turn Signal and Horn Broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So it's 4:30 in the morning, I'm driving down some seriously bumpy muddy trails heading to my hunting stand on this WMA. I hit a bump particularity hard and my had turned on my blinker by accident. I'm in mid turn so i just leave it on since it'll turn off by itself once the wheel is straightened- or so I thought. Next thing I know, I hear a snap, crapple and a couple pops and its broke. Something happened that broke the switch in the column. I go into the next turn and BAM! My loud af horn goes off. It's connecting mid turn to the left and right. Not a good thing early morning in the woods lol. I went ahead and disconnected both horns to keep going.
So obviously I gotta tear apart my steering column. My question is- to what extinct and how hard will it be? What is the problem that's connecting the horn? Also what parts will I need to get as a replacement? This is my daily driver and can't have it outta commission for even a day. I want the job to be one and done almost. Should mention, it is a 1985 K10, 305/350 Turbo. The previous owner installed a column lock to keep it from getting stolen. Problem is that idk how to take it off and don't have the key for it (not sure if I need it). Will that need to be removed or no? I searched the forums but could not find any mention of it so here I am. I can post any pictures that may be needed. Thank you in advance!

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
So it's 4:30 in the morning, I'm driving down some seriously bumpy muddy trails heading to my hunting stand on this WMA. I hit a bump particularity hard and my had turned on my blinker by accident. I'm in mid turn so i just leave it on since it'll turn off by itself once the wheel is straightened- or so I thought. Next thing I know, I hear a snap, crapple and a couple pops and its broke. Something happened that broke the switch in the column. I go into the next turn and BAM! My loud af horn goes off. It's connecting mid turn to the left and right. Not a good thing early morning in the woods lol. I went ahead and disconnected both horns to keep going.
So obviously I gotta tear apart my steering column. My question is- to what extinct and how hard will it be? What is the problem that's connecting the horn? Also what parts will I need to get as a replacement? This is my daily driver and can't have it outta commission for even a day. I want the job to be one and done almost. Should mention, it is a 1985 K10, 305/350 Turbo. The previous owner installed a column lock to keep it from getting stolen. Problem is that idk how to take it off and don't have the key for it (not sure if I need it). Will that need to be removed or no? I searched the forums but could not find any mention of it so here I am. I can post any pictures that may be needed. Thank you in advance!
You must be registered for see images attach

probably replacing the switch assembly #12 will fix it all. since the horn was part of you problem you might at least have the horn ring #7 on hand just incase it broke to. There is a tool to compress the spring #8 under the steering lock plate #6 , I have always had good luck using a big washer and a couple small sockets with the steering wheel nut to RnR it. While it's apart tighten everything. Mark the steering wheel and shaft so it goes back in the original position.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Just curious, does it look something like this?
You must be registered for see images attach

If so, either a cutting wheel to the hinge for starters or a hammer and screw driver to the keyhole, just like punching out an old GM trunk lock (not that I know anything about how that is done, :emotions33:). Since not really sure what your custom lock looks like, still guessing it will need to come off to dig down into the column. Also, is it tilt column? Still might be able to remove steering wheel, the plate for the lock pin under that, drop the column down from underneath enough to get to that end of the wiring harness and start removing the signal switch in the column next. There are a few videos out there of tear down if you google it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bennlenl