Tuning Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
yes, full depression of the accelerator should allow you to crank without pumping fuel in, so eventually it would clear out. sometimes it will turn on during it , sometimes it will just clear and you will be dry. im bad at telling when i hit that, so i try 5 seconds of cranking and ill release and try it to see if i hear a pop or indicator of if its still too rich, if i think its lean i do a small accelerator jab and that by then is usually enough

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Fully depressing the pedal before cranking will set the choke. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. Nice looking truck!

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Ahhh....... another thread needing advice on fixing a Quadrajet. They just never end! LMAO But at least one poster had a great fix, just JB Weld it?? Best fix I've heard for one yet!!! LMMFAO:cheers:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Fully depressing the pedal before cranking will set the choke. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it. Nice looking truck!
good clarification. holding accelreator fully down will allow to clear out, fully depressing once in the morning sets the choke in a thermostatic choke, other choke styles. i think most electric chokes do to by that same method, just i think they dont need a full jab

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
All of the carbs ive seen with this issue were later carbs if by later you mean 81-86. Maybe its a climate thing. Potato Tomato. But then my numbers are skewed pretty low as ive only had three apart that had this issue.
I suppose thats probably true about the heat cycling and deterioration. Ive never ran one like that very long...always went 1406/1906 soon after. It was a fix I came across before weaning off the quadrajets.

However if your Quad is working well keep it....cant beat the mpg around town. Some people love em!!

PS: I have 3 if anyone needs one:fishing1:

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Only Quadrajet that needs work on are the ones that have sat for 30 years. Then wonder why it's not running right.

Jb weld cracked me up too. Lol

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
All of the carbs ive seen with this issue were later carbs if by later you mean 81-86. Maybe its a climate thing. Potato Tomato. But then my numbers are skewed pretty low as ive only had three apart that had this issue.
I suppose thats probably true about the heat cycling and deterioration. Ive never ran one like that very long...always went 1406/1906 soon after. It was a fix I came across before weaning off the quadrajets.

However if your Quad is working well keep it....cant beat the mpg around town. Some people love em!!

PS: I have 3 if anyone needs one:fishing1:
im the real quadrajet peddler round here. i think i technically have 5 on shelves, 1 on car, and about 7 or 8 2 barrels of varying cfm and application. 1 monojet.
i even have an old holley but i dont tell people about that one, might get rusty too excited.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Ahhh....... another thread needing advice on fixing a Quadrajet. They just never end! LMAO But at least one poster had a great fix, just JB Weld it?? Best fix I've heard for one yet!!! LMMFAO:cheers:

Considering every one of these trucks came with a Q-Jet, obviously they will eventually need some maintenance.

What’s wrong with JB Weld? It ain’t broke if it can be fixed with JB Weld!!!

On a totally unrelated subject:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I have no shame. Ive used JB Weld to plug so many holes it should seek therapy,LOL

Jb Weld is NEVER the ideal solution....But man im glad its there when it is the only solution.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have no shame. Ive used JB Weld to plug so many holes it should seek therapy,LOL

Jb Weld is NEVER the ideal solution....But man im glad its there when it is the only solution.
Neither is the aftermarket - according to my AC DELCO AIR CLEANER.

Bet AC Delco doesnt make a replacement sticker for that, just saying.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
@Matt69olds where is the carburetor on a 1979 olds 350 diesel in a square? :)

I’m guessing on top of the 350 Olds diesel short block, once the conversion to gas power has been completed.

The 350 Olds diesel was definitely from a dark time in automotive history. The idea was good, and would have been great if the bean counters would let the engineers finish testing and proving the design before rushing into production.

I’m not all that familiar with the 350 Olds diesel. From what I recall, the designs vetoed by the bean counters were introduced in the second generation engines. Things like water separators, and different head bolts. Unfortunately, the damage had already been done. The engine had a bad reputation that it never recovered from. Being a Oldsmobile enthusiast, I know many Olds diesel owners. It seems to me the ones that had problems had nothing but problems with the engine. Others seemed to have had no issues at all and loved the fuel economy.

As with many things in GM history, it never failed that anytime management was forced to do anything it didn’t want to do, they always did it in the worst possible way. Maybe they thought the consumers would get burned out on whatever was being forced on them, and go back to the cars and trucks GM wanted them to buy in the first place. The Vega comes to mind. GM didn’t really want to build that car, but the OPEC crisis made it necessary. What does GM do? The unlined aluminum block,iron head and lousy cooling system really burned the GM buying public. Add in the corporate engine swap class action lawsuit a few year later, and the designing cars with a “belly-button” mentality, it’s no wonder GM lost its way.

I wonder if the Big 3 would have had nearly the issues the did if they had continued plan their future with the mindset of what’s best for the long haul, as opposed to what will look best a the the next stockholder meeting?

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
FWIW my FIL bought a brand new '81 Olds 98 diesel. Shortly after that I bought and brand new '81 Olds Cutlass diesel.
Both of us put well over 100k on them and the only problems we ever encountered was the fuel lines freezing up when it hit -20 on the thermometer one winter.
Otherwise no issues from either one.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I’m guessing on top of the 350 Olds diesel short block, once the conversion to gas power has been completed.

The 350 Olds diesel was definitely from a dark time in automotive history. The idea was good, and would have been great if the bean counters would let the engineers finish testing and proving the design before rushing into production.

I’m not all that familiar with the 350 Olds diesel. From what I recall, the designs vetoed by the bean counters were introduced in the second generation engines. Things like water separators, and different head bolts. Unfortunately, the damage had already been done. The engine had a bad reputation that it never recovered from. Being a Oldsmobile enthusiast, I know many Olds diesel owners. It seems to me the ones that had problems had nothing but problems with the engine. Others seemed to have had no issues at all and loved the fuel economy.

As with many things in GM history, it never failed that anytime management was forced to do anything it didn’t want to do, they always did it in the worst possible way. Maybe they thought the consumers would get burned out on whatever was being forced on them, and go back to the cars and trucks GM wanted them to buy in the first place. The Vega comes to mind. GM didn’t really want to build that car, but the OPEC crisis made it necessary. What does GM do? The unlined aluminum block,iron head and lousy cooling system really burned the GM buying public. Add in the corporate engine swap class action lawsuit a few year later, and the designing cars with a “belly-button” mentality, it’s no wonder GM lost its way.

I wonder if the Big 3 would have had nearly the issues the did if they had continued plan their future with the mindset of what’s best for the long haul, as opposed to what will look best a the the next stockholder meeting?
very deep response to my joke haha, i jsut said it because i know you are big oldsmobile fan (me too, my first car was olds and damnit it will be the last i will make sure of it) and i also own some oldsmobiles. the only one that will see life again is the 1999 aurora.
anywho, yes, the big 3.. esp gm.. the epitome of companies that refuse to compete and wonder why it doesnt work for them. They are a cancer at this point as far as im concerned, japanese car companies are about hiring more americans than american car companies.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Ain’t no feelin like Oldsmobiling!!!

I consider myself lucky, I have friends who have a passion for Pontiac, Buick, old Mopar, even some Ford fanatics (I always liked the mid 60s full sized ford cars). There is no way I could afford all my dream cars, so I enjoy them with my buddies. Saves on maintenance and owner fees

My dad worked for Delco Electronics for almost 37 years, so we were a diehard GM family. Since I’m a firm believer in not biting the hand that feeds me, once I hired with Chrysler, I don’t buy anything new but Mopar. It absolutely floors me seeing the young kids buying new Toyota and Honda, they bitch the loudest when layoffs happen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64