Truck @ The Garage Anxiety

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
I dropped the truck at the garage it's always been taken to but I have a weird feeling about it.They are really backed up from prior to the Memorial day holiday. I told them no rush. I should chill right?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
If you've always had good luck with this garage you should have nothing to worry about, right?

I've never been to a garage before besides things like tires that I don't own the equipment to do myself, I don't personally trust other people to care for my vehicle as if it was their own, plus I can't afford it, shops cost so much lol. I'm also a firm believer of "if you want something done right, do it yourself". But if you have used these guys a bunch of times in the past and have and been happy with the results, why would this time be different? They might be backed up now, but hey it is what it is. Don't worry, if these are people you trust then you shouldn't sweat. If you don't trust them, why bring it there in the first place?

Yes you should chill. It's Friday night, enjoy yourself.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you having them do to it?

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Oil change. New fuel filter. There is more to it. I bought this truck last year in November from the previous owner. He always took it there. I have only had to take it in to pass state inspection so far(not quite old enough for vintage tags). It's a great truck with the original engine. I just worry. I also do lots of things to it myself and would rather not burden these mechanics with things I can figure out on own. Recently I replaced the motor for the drivers side power window and the oil pressure sending unit...seeing the results of this simple work made me appreciate how I can do a lot of the maintenance things myself...but I also want to hear what a guy that has seen this thing for a while has to tell me...make sense?

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
Why would you send it in for an oil change and fuel filter when you can do other harder things to it? Go get it, take it home and do it yourself. Problem solved.

Ben

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Damn. I totally did tell them "no rush" thinking it would let them know I want the best and appreciate their work.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Why would you send it in for an oil change and fuel filter when you can do other harder things to it? Go get it, take it home and do it yourself. Problem solved.

Ben
Where I live I can't get rid of engine oil so easy. It costs money.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
Ben I like the pep talk. Tell more.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
The previous owner had receipts of everything back til 1996 when he bought the truck. All from the same garage.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
FYI
I have been talking with the mechanic about plans of dropping the drivers side tank and replacing the fuel pump/sending unit/ switching valve myself. And this has all been done before at this garage...so, I guess I just want to get on a level with these guys...???

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
So I guess I need to figure out how to ask if these guys are tired of dealing with this truck and if so, where to go with it next for things outside of my ability.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
If it's been going there forever, they should have a maintenance history. It might take them a bit to compile everything, maybe pay them for their time. Im sure they could leave out owner info.

There's plenty of ******** that don't know what it takes to work on vehicles that don't say "no rush" they actually tend to yell and name call or at least get super butthurt, or call every couple days asking if its done. They'll most likely get their stuff fixed before the person that says no rush, to get them out of their hair.

Just say as soon as you can, then don't bug em about it, and don't be an ass. Give em a week or two and call, ask for an update, not "iS IT dUn YeT"

Buck69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
D30 CUCV
Engine Size
6.2 (removed)
You are building a relationship with a shop that has close to 30 years history with your truck. Stick to your agreement or chance leaving a bad taste in their mouth backing out. It is only a service. You will want their attention when you really need them.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Everything said is good advice.........but NEVER EVER say no rush. I ran a shop with a partner and if you told him "no rush" that meant some time this year. I really had to ride him about getting things done, did NOT want someone's rig hanging around any longer than we had to. The liability was bad enough, let alone every one seeing it set for so long.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1