Truck left me stranded today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgrinavi

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Isn’t it possible to find an electric pump that can pull sufficient fuel high enough and far enough to service both tanks in a safe convenient location reliably regardless?
I wonder if you can use the tank switch and have two pumps, It works on the ground side

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Isn’t it possible to find an electric pump that can pull sufficient fuel high enough and far enough to service both tanks in a safe convenient location reliably regardless?
not without being way more complicated or causing paradoxically more fuel vapor issues.

sgrinavi

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On a related note, my fuel tank switching valve died, AGAIN. Third time is a charm.

This time I decided to see if I could figure out what was up. For some reason there was only 5.5 volts being delivered to the switch. I chased the line back to the bulkhead and checked the voltage there. Still 5.5. I did the right thing and ran a new wire off a different circuit, now I get 12 volts to the switching valve, still no-workie though. I'll replace it this weekend and see.

The good news is that my fuel gauge is now reading correctly. Woot.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
On a related note, my fuel tank switching valve died, AGAIN. Third time is a charm.

This time I decided to see if I could figure out what was up. For some reason there was only 5.5 volts being delivered to the switch. I chased the line back to the bulkhead and checked the voltage there. Still 5.5. I did the right thing and ran a new wire off a different circuit, now I get 12 volts to the switching valve, still no-workie though. I'll replace it this weekend and see.

The good news is that my fuel gauge is now reading correctly. Woot.
If the solenoid wasnt switching with proper voltage it probably was why it died
They also dont last long unless you had a 1980-1982ish with a delay module that doesnt cycle the solenoid literally everytime the key goes off to on, crank to run, etc (Much less actuations)

sgrinavi

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Changed the fuel pump and carb today, she's running pretty good right now.

I have an acquaintance that works on high end euro classics, old Ferraris, etc. He highly recommended the Facet fuel pump. It does run good, solid 5 lbs of pressure and keeps that filter full. Went with a Holley Street Warrior carb. Truck is running really good, way stronger than it was on the quadra jet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67