Truck got broken into :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well some asshat broke into my truck. Parked right in front of my apartment too. Luckily they only stole my crappy chinese GPS and left the $1000+ worth of tools there. They pried my back slider open.

Soo...my next thought is...does anybody make an aftermarket window that's a little harder to break into or should I just get a cheap car alarm and some less than lethal ammo for my 12ga?

I live right on the spokane river and lots of bums sleep down there and occasionally wander into my neighborhood looking for easy cars to break into. This truck is the easiest thing I've ever owned to break into.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
I'd get a single piece back window and then all get locks for your wing window. How did they pry your rear window open if the back latch was closed?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Some of those rear window latches are chinsey.

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The latch assembly in my truck is a real POS. It is about as thick as a tin can, plus my window is in rough shape and there's a lot of slop in the windows that slide. They got it open without doing any real damage, it was that loose. There is one little pry mark on the aluminum where they put the screwdriver in.

I thought about doing a one piece window, but I'm a little hesitant, because I don't have AC. It doesn't get super hot here, but that back window in conjunction with my floor vents and wing windows keeps me nice and cool. I just don't want to lose the ventilation if I don't have to. I looked at the aftermarket slider window in the LMC catalog, but I have no idea what the quality is like- it looks JC whitneyish

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I wonder if just getting a new sliding rear window unit would do the trick then. So that way the latch is better and there won't be as much play in it either.... I couldn't give up my slider either!

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You can gat a set of those removable gun racks that you can put on either side of the sliding window. My brother had a set in his truck they work great as extra locks for the window.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
cut some wood dowels and lay them in the channel so they cant slide, that is the best way to fix that problem.

After putting door locks in my truck it became clear someone could open the door with no problem with a slim jim in seconds.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Just get a big friggin dog and make him sleep in the bed. When they crap their pants due to some big dog jumping up at them they won't come around again :deal:

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Just get a big friggin dog and make him sleep in the bed. When they crap their pants due to some big dog jumping up at them they won't come around again :deal:

Or a Cougar like Ricky Bobby! LOL

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll prolly put an alarm on as an immediate fix. These are opportunistic thieves, they aren't very sophisticated. Everybody on the street has had something broken into, or stolen, but it was usually just because they left a window cracked or a door unlocked. I may give that LMC window a shot. I can always send it back if its crap.

Hopefully this time next year we'll have a place out in the country

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Awesome ideas about the dowels in the tracks and the gun rack. :waytogo:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
For sure! I'm gonna use the dowel trick when it gets cold

Its not like a permanent install thing, you cut them a little short so you can pull them out of the track and slide the window open when you need to.

The only downfall is the ghetto look, it will keep people from opening the slider windows better than any latch though.

I have a slider in mine and I cant wait to find a solid rear window to replace it.

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stoney thoughts have me designing something now... I'm gonna fab up some cool removable locks out of aluminum and paint em. Next time I'm at the Depot I'll see what I can find for hardware. Should be interesting. I'll be sure to post pics...even if they suck lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruggedly