truck dog tracks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logan2500

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
360/th400/np205
My 77 chevy k20 dog tracks and its pretty noticable when i drive behind it. I have measured and there is a 1 1/2 difference between the passenger and driverside rear tires. It has a 4 inch suspention lift that was put on by the previous owner. What i need to know is if the pin that lines up the axle with the leafs is rusted out and gone what would be the next thing i would need to do? I havent yet torn it apart just kinda want a idea of what ill be getting myself into when i tear it apart. thanks

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I say just give a dogs name like Fido, and pin a wagging tail on the tail gate and rock on with it !!!

NOOOOOOO !!! J/K Don't do that.

That's where I'd be checking first is the rear axle alignment. Starting at the spring bushings at the hangers. Also make sure BOTH shackles are moving freely. If one shackle is stuck and not moving but the other is etc. Of course the alignment pegs on the spring perch will make a difference too. So was this lift kit a rear spring swap or blocks? Is it possible 1 spring is installed backwards?

Logan2500

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
360/th400/np205
It's a block lift and I will take a look at the leafs and shackles tomorrow if I get a chance appreciate the advice.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you know if the truck was ever wrecked and if so how severe?

Another thing that can throw alignment off and cause dog tracking is a Thrust Angle Alignment to the front end. Let's say for example it had a bent rear wheel and it was aligned according to the bent rear wheel, then that can throw off the thrust angle alignment. You might consider getting a 4 wheel alignment. Tell them WHY you want a 4 wheel alignment and that you will NOT settle for a Thrust Angle alignment.

Logan2500

Reaction score
First Name
Logan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
360/th400/np205
Ok sounds good I have to get a drive shaft made for it also since I swapped trans and transfer case. So ill probably have them take a look at the alignment before I go tearing into it. Thanks again

tanz45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Check spring pins, make sure lift block is actually centered on pin and not large opening, make sure both lift blocks are installed the same way, etc..

Basic, but main points

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I thought a lot of people assume the old squares always are dog tracking, but had heard it was because the front axle is wider.
So often they just see the front tire is "sticking out" from the rear tire.

Or was I told false info many years ago? I don't have my square right now so can't go out and measure axle widths.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought a lot of people assume the old squares always are dog tracking, but had heard it was because the front axle is wider.
So often they just see the front tire is "sticking out" from the rear tire.

Or was I told false info many years ago? I don't have my square right now so can't go out and measure axle widths.

There is some truth about that, but tires would be hanging out on both sides if that were the case. I know for sure the GMT400 models do that.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I see some pickups running around with a paint job and sometimes a lift, but, the pickup will be dog tracking, sometimes very severely, I wonder then, why`d they throw their money into a nice paint job and leave the mechanicals go to crap.
Be sure that the front spring bushings, of both axles if a four wheel drive, are not all wore out.
If the springs bushing had not been renewed, I would also do this operation now, while it is partially tore down to check the pins and blocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda