Transmission Indicator Cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not sure what it's called exactly - the orange pin that indicates transmission gear position. I went to replace it today and I realized that the issue was the cable wasn't hooked up to anything. I've been searching the shift column and haven't found anything. Where do I hook the cable end to?

Attachments

• shifter_indicator.jpg
    shifter_indicator.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 232

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It just hooks to the sleeve on the column, the sleeve rotates when you move the shifter.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Look for a little scratch mark to help set it exactly where it was or else you end up with one of those position indicators that points to N when you are in D.

If you cant see a scratch mark (and stuff like an skewed gear indicator bugs you) take my advice - don't jam the clip completely home at first. Run the gear shift up and down a few times, maybe even drive around for a few days, to make sure it reads correctly. The push it on all the way.

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My problem I think is that there must be a pin/dowel missing on the cluster. If I hook the cable directly to the column the pull on the cable is straight down and it binds and won't get past OD.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm not familiar with any type of a pin to make the cable change direction and turn downward. All I've seen is a extra lobe with a slit in it that the cable passes through. It is way over on the right side of the indentation - actually it looks more like a crack in the extrusion than a fairlead. Some photos to help:

You must be registered for see images attach

McCSquare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm not familiar with any type of a pin to make the cable change direction and turn downward. All I've seen is a extra lobe with a slit in it that the cable passes through. It is way over on the right side of the indentation - actually it looks more like a crack in the extrusion than a fairlead. Some photos to help:

Ahhh. That's the secret. That little groove changes the direction so it pulls properly. It looked like a cracked mounting tab to me. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005