Transmission crack help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rodney78

Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Afternoon folks. I have a question, I’ve got a 1978 Chevy Scottsdale with an automatic transmission that the drive gear had stopped working so I took the pan off and found a hole in the metal that had broken (see pictures) I couldn’t find any metal in the fluid. I have no experience with transmissions so my questions are what is broken if you are able to tell and is it fixable or do I need a new transmission? Thanks to everyone who can help.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
I don’t think anything is broken, pretty sure that’s just the way the case is cast. The bottom portion has just normal casting flash, the top is cast smooth. I don’t have another case to compare, but since you don’t have chunks in the pan, and the kickdown band is clearly visible, I don’t think that’s your problem.

How much crud is in the pan? If it backs up but won’t go forward, chances are the forward clutch has burnt up. It’s time for a rebuild.

Rodney78

Reaction score
First Name
Rodney
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don’t think anything is broken, pretty sure that’s just the way the case is cast. The bottom portion has just normal casting flash, the top is cast smooth. I don’t have another case to compare, but since you don’t have chunks in the pan, and the kickdown band is clearly visible, I don’t think that’s your problem.

How much crud is in the pan? If it backs up but won’t go forward, chances are the forward clutch has burnt up. It’s time for a rebuild.

Oh wow okay and yes it will go well in reverse no problem. I’ll be looking for a rebuild kit, thank you sir.

Very little crud was in the pan for being the original transmission. I even ran a magnet through the fluid and only very fine metal shavings nothing big.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Man, it sure does look like a chunk is missing out of that part. And, @Matt69olds, you say that's normal? I'm like @Rodney78, I would've freaked out, "Oh my god my trans is screwed!" If it was broken out right there what would you have to replace? The case?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knep115