Transfer case support bracket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The long rod that goes from the motor to the transfer case on the right side.....can anyone tell where it attaches at the motor end? I cant tell from this pic. My original 85 block was replaced with a 97, so was concerned there is a boss missing. Dunno. Maybe the side of the motor mount?

This is the original rod attachment -
You must be registered for see images attach

THX

Last edited:

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It goes thru a bell housing hole into the block

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I was always warned not to use those. It was a poor band-aid type fix. Will just put stress elsewhere and I think I remember it will then break the bellhousing/transmission or could crack the transfer case.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
That's where the factory put it. Get a longer bolt and make sure the rod sits all the way on the bellhousing.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I was always warned not to use those. It was a poor band-aid type fix. Will just put stress elsewhere and I think I remember it will then break the bellhousing/transmission or could crack the transfer case.
i thought that was the frame mounted one which could bind the drivetrain against a rigid unmocing frame whereas the drivetrain bolted to itself with the rod could flex, transfer etc in line with power

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
@77 K20 the one people warn against goes between the transfer case and frame rail, the support the OP is asking about is the later bar style that goes between the transfer case and bellhousing.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
I had to use some washers between the face of the rod and the bell housing hole to make up about a 3/8” gap. I could have modified the holes at the transfer case end (NP205) but the washers seemed reasonable.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The bolt for the bell housing end is pretty long with a couple of factory washers. It fit well - just wasn't sure with a 97 block if there was a boss or something deleted / moved to the other side (think the transfer case was driver side on the later ones - ?!) and I couldn't tell from the only pic I have of that area pre-removal.

Thanks! :hat:

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
The bolt for the bell housing end is pretty long with a couple of factory washers. It fit well - just wasn't sure with a 97 block if there was a boss or something deleted / moved to the other side (think the transfer case was driver side on the later ones - ?!) and I couldn't tell from the only pic I have of that area pre-removal.

Thanks! :hat:

Chevy bolt pattern shouldn't change on a small block. I know the LS engines are missing one of the bolts, but otherwise the pattern is still the same.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Without it you can crack the tranny case. Ask me how I know. Torque gotta go somewhere

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84