Transfer case seal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Go For it homie !!! Seals are cheap. Maybe $6 or $8. Pull the driveshaft and replace the seal only and see what happens. Worse that can happen is still leak or start to leak again in a few hudred miles. Can't make it any worse if you willing to invest the few bucks and about a half hour of time. Its a piece of cake. Probably take you longer to get the dshaft out than it will to get the seal out and tapped back in.

Last edited:

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
sure does sound like you will be ok with just a new seal, mark the driveshaft position before you pull it, sometimes you can get a vibration if not put back in the same spot

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
very true, rear end front end whatever it can vibrate if it's out like 180.

jetdoc

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
350/TH700/NP208C
Yea just changed the output shaft seal on t-case removed the yoke assy and popped it out with a screwdriver, had grooves worn into the yoke assy.anyone no where i can get one new or used without any groves? t-case 208c 85 k1500

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yea just changed the output shaft seal on t-case removed the yoke assy and popped it out with a screwdriver, had grooves worn into the yoke assy.anyone no where i can get one new or used without any groves? t-case 208c 85 k1500
Check this out, I found it on Rockauto. Looks like a repair kit for that. I may get me this also and a new seal too, mine is slinging out fluid at highway speeds. This is like that sleeve and seal for harmonic balancers to create a new surface over the grooves for the new seal to ride on. You got to measure the yoke diameter. You got a dial caliper?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=257671

jetdoc

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
350/TH700/NP208C
wow what a great fix thanks john!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That one does not use a new oversize seal, it uses an OEM seal. You use that install took, and press the ring over the shaft giving the yoke a new surface to ride on. Looks that one has a flange too which could be good for protecting the seal. Could also be bad if it allows to stuff to build up between the seal the flange. Those type items are usually very effective and buy quite a bit of time. I'd go with it, then when I rebuilt my transfer case, I'd go ahead and see about a new yoke then.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That one does not use a new oversize seal, it uses an OEM seal. You use that install took, and press the ring over the shaft giving the yoke a new surface to ride on. Looks that one has a flange too which could be good for protecting the seal. Could also be bad if it allows to stuff to build up between the seal the flange. Those type items are usually very effective and buy quite a bit of time. I'd go with it, then when I rebuilt my transfer case, I'd go ahead and see about a new yoke then.
I think the flange is mainly for the tool to push against during the install homie.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think the flange is mainly for the tool to push against during the install homie.

Yes, I am sure it is, but it should still double as a cover over the seal for whatever good it might provide.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yes, I am sure it is, but it should still double as a cover over the seal for whatever good it might provide.
Yes, I didn't think of that. Sure is a nice way to get more miles out of a grooved yoke. :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Every time I climb under this truck I want to have the scrap yard tow it away....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Don't do that, it's a good parts truck. :rofl:

Never know about guy like you. Complains about all the rust, now the truck is self lubricating the under carriage to protect itself, and you're all pist off. :rofl:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Don't do that, it's a good parts truck. :rofl:

Never know about guy like you. Complains about all the rust, now the truck is self lubricating the under carriage to protect itself, and you're all pist off. :rofl:

Just the hot weather and grease getting in my eyes, gasoline running into my arm pit, lol.... :help:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just the hot weather and grease getting in my eyes, gasoline running into my arm pit, lol.... :help:

That'll wash the stinch off won't it??? I hate when fluids travel down my arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackscott2005