Transfer case seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Got a very slow leak in the rear output shaft of my NP208. But, still a leak and needs to be fixed. Is the replacement as simple as popping the old seal of and putting the new one in, just like a rear seal for wheel bearings?

I was going to park it on a slope, nose down to keep from losing fluid if possible.

Thanks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yep, you just have to be careful tapping it in there if you don't have the correct driver.

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Careful not to bend or distort the seal?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
you should replace the bushing that's inside the tailhousing also

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
That would require removing the tail shaft housing though

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Got it replaced, easy as expected... but, it still has a ssssslllllloooooowwwww, leak. It's between the yoke shaft and the rubber ring. I'm thinking the shop must have done something to polish it down when i had a new driveshaft built a few weeks ago. Is it possible/likely that they did something that would have removed some material making the slip yoke and the rubber ring not seal? Fluids is at the right level, used Dexron III. is there anything i can use to coat the outside of the shaf to seal it up better?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If You did`nt use some good sealer like no.1 Permatex around the outside of the seal and, the inside diameter of the seal housing, it will leak.
Also, did You pack the seal with grease, around the tension spring, so the spring would not pop out of its seat, when being driven into the housing. These three things are the biggest cause of a new seal failure.
It takes a LOT of emory cloth and sanding to take nough material off of a yokes sealing surface to cause it to leak. Probably not that. If the yokes sealing surface is smooth, without grooves around the circumference then, it should be OK.
If the yoke is not of the slip yoke design then, the washer and the under~neath of the bolthead will need sealer around them too, to keep fluid from leaking past the splines and from under~neath of the bolt head.
I am NOT saying that the yokes bushing is the problem but rather, I have replaced a LOT of seals over the old bushings and had no problems whatever.

Last edited:

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok. I'll pick up a bearing/seal set and follow these steps. Thanks for the info.

I'll update This thread with my "success" story. ;)

one4fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Oh, so when I remove the tail shaft housing, are there any parts that will move or come out? Is there a gasket around the housing that will need to be replaced when reinstalling?

marks86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
12v Cummins
the housing is held in with RTV, you will need to disconnect your speedo cable and undo the four bolts to take off the housing.

the housing might take a little persuasion to get off, be careful its alum.

the housing holds the output bearing, bushing and seal

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
I used Yamabond when i rebuilt my tcase. so far so good! slightly more expensive than RTV but works extremely well. Hondabond, suzukibond, fujibond, threebond all kinda the same. you want the semi-hardening one.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You should be able to pry the housing off. DONT HIT IT! I don't think you need to bother with sealant and grease for the seal but I guess it cant really hurt anything.

The trick is the bushing like Mark is saying.

The bushing stops the yoke from slopping around on the tail shaft. If its slopps around while going in and out and round and round it basically is prying open the seal sporadically allowing ATF to escape the seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm