torque sticks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waterpirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
5.7 tbi
Any one have opinions on them? Looking at the single 80# for my k10 from grainger for 11.00 plus shipping.
Thanx
Eric

Soundmound

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
We used to use them at Pep Boys back when I worked there(Early ought's) and I never fully trusted them to be honest. I prefer the click of an actual torque wrench myself, but to each his own.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Torque sticks are good to make sure you do not over torque the lug nuts. This is especially true on alloy wheels. As @Soundmound stated, a current calibrated torque wrench, is what is required where I work.

"Good best practices are required" We torque all wheels, road test, and then a re-torque.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I'm with everyone else. I prefer the click. I will say this, my one buddy bought Icon I think that's the name of it...Harbor Freights top of the line torque wrench. It is pretty nice, his son is a professional machinic type guy, and has all the big name tools...ie Snap-On. The HF was maybe a 1/4lb off from the Snap-On. I have Craftsman. The 3/8, and 1/2 are foot lbs, and the 1/4 is inch lbs. All I do is work on my own stuff, so they've been great for me.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Using torque sticks is dumb. The Project farm guy (On YT) proves that if you keep hammering with your gun on the torque stick the bolt keeps getting tighter. and tighter. Discount tire are pros at overtorqueing lug nuts with their torque sticks. They tighten with the torque stick, and then, go for the click from the click type (no idea of what their click is set to!) > Use a proper torque wrench and maybe go around a second time on each wheel in a diamond pattern is the way to go. One customer I had to cut numerous capped lugs off the car after a DT run for tires.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Torque sticks have their place. Used them to get the nuts down then recheck with torque wrench. It speeds things up and little risk of over torque. Primarily used the 80 lb ft one. That would cover most vehicles except of course the odd ball like a Geo. Our shop always had a torque wrench handy with extension and flip sockets. So, it was easy to do it properly. I don't recommend them for final torque.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes