Tire size limits WITHOUT lifting? (flares ok)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

columnshift

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 heavy half (retired)
Engine Size
What are the biggest tires I could put on a 3/4 ton chassis, even if it means some modifications to the inner or outer fenders and possibly some steering scrub at the extremes?

NOT only "off road" tires either, is as curious about larger diameter on road tires closer to medium duty size.

I'm not really seeking greater angles of approach/departure, mostly a bit more ground clearance and lowering effective axle ratios.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Depends on how much you are willing to cut the fenders. 35's will fit without too much cutting, or a little taller if the wheel/tire combo is very narrow. You can cut more and go bigger, but the cab itself will get in the way at some point. It's not too far behind the inner fender.

columnshift

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Assume alot of cutting. :) I'm just curious what gets in the way once you run out of fender to hack off!

However 35's sound pretty good sized and I dont think i'd honestly need to go much above there... I wanted to have the ability to run at least 33's and possibly a max of 36" or so under certain conditions. (not normal runnin tires)

Out of curiosity whats the max that fits with no cutting?

Do flares look too wonky if you go back to stock sized tires after 33's or so or is that a pretty mild flare?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There is no such thing. Each truck is completely different and what works for one person may not work for another.

I had a truck once that 285/75/16 rubbed harsh on it but other people with the same truck said no problems!

YMMV

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
what do you have against a small lift? I think they ride better. highdesertanger

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Or eventhough you said no lift there are 1" lift blocks out there that you can put in and it will allow you to move the axle forward 1" or so. That way if you do put large tires on the front they won't hit the firewall/cab.

Zack

Reaction score
First Name
zack
Truck Year
Truck Model
k 25
Engine Size
I have a 78 3/4 ton with 33's. I added one leaf and when I would crank the wheels going up a snow bank or hill it would catch the front fender , and that still had a little rake to the truck . I just recently re arched and added another leaf and new front shocks . It gave me plenty of room and now the truck sits dead level ! No problems .

columnshift

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
what do you have against a small lift? I think they ride better. highdesertanger

Trying to maximize highway MPG by staying as low as possible, keeping the weight as low as possible for center of gravity issues. If there were some kind of adjustable or easily removeable lift I could alter up and down depending what set of tires I was running that'd be ideal. Even if it meant having to jack up one corner and change some physical mounting point or something, if it's only a few times per year i'd put up with that.

1983gmc4x4

Reaction score
First Name
chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I have a stock height 1983 GMC swb 4x4, what would be the biggest size tire that I could fit under it, also I will probably be installing a leveling kit

Splandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a stock height 1983 GMC swb 4x4, what would be the biggest size tire that I could fit under it, also I will probably be installing a leveling kit

I think 33's without any rubbing. Someone else may no better though.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
33" tires depending on wheel size and offset.

redneck_reed78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Braden
Truck Year
1987, 1991
Truck Model
R30, Suburban
Engine Size
I have 33's and it only rubs very slightly in the front, and that's only when it gets really twisted up. I have a 3 inch body lift though but they are beefy all terrains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels