timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1986k10

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Chevy 350 small block
hello i have a 1986 k20 and i was told that i have a 305 in it and are having some problems with it running i have changed the spark plugs and still are having problems i was wondering if it could be the timing and if so how to i change it and what are the factor specs for my engine thanks if you can help

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
hello i have a 1986 k20 and i was told that i have a 305 in it and are having some problems with it running i have changed the spark plugs and still are having problems i was wondering if it could be the timing and if so how to i change it and what are the factor specs for my engine thanks if you can help

Factory spec for an 86 305 and 350 is 4 degrees before top dead center.
Have you ever adjusted timing before? I was going to post step by step, but i dont want you to think Im trying to treat you like a moron...LOL!

1986k10

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Chevy 350 small block
No never did it do steps would be awesome

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok.
remove the air cleaner, and plug the vacuum line(s) that was connected to it, assuming you have a factory air cleaner.

Start the truck, and let it warm up to operating temp.

shut the truck off. locate the vacuum line going to the distributor (assuming you dont have computer controlled timing)disconnect the line, and plug it with a golfing tee, or drill bit.
clean your timing marks on the timing cover, and locate the 4 degree mark, left of o. you may want to mark it with white out correction fluid.

locate the distributor hold down bolt, on the intake manifold, below the distributor on the passenger side. with a 9/16 wrench, or crows foot, loosen the bolt just enough to turn by hand, but keep it snug enough so the distributor does not turn on its own.

Locate the #1 spark plug wire, its the first wire at the front of the engine, on the drivers side. connect the induction clamp from the timing light.connect the timing light clamps to the battery terminals.

start the truck, and have a friend hold the brake and put the transmission in drive.

aim the timing light at the timing scale, and you should see the timing mark on the harmonic balancer, behind the main pully. its a slot, so you cant miss it.
if it lines up with 4 you are right on. if it is right of 4(retarded), rotate the distributor slowly counter clockwise untill it lines up, if it is left of 4(advanced) rotate clockwise until lined up with 4.

put the truck in park, shut it off.

very carefully tighten the distributor hold down bolt, make ing sure not to turn the distributor.
Unplug and re install the vacuum line on the distributor.
Go for a drive and see how she feels.

1986k10

Reaction score
First Name
Dale
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Chevy 350 small block
Thanks man I will look and see

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Option B is doing it by ear if you dont have a timing light, I have a timing light and dont even use it. Someone knew I was going to say this....

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Option B is doing it by ear if you dont have a timing light, I have a timing light and dont even use it. Someone knew I was going to say this....

yep...but not an option for a first timer, or anyone going for an emissions test where they check the timing.
Thanks Retro! I had to close my eyes and pretend I was setting the timing on my 79 5.0, the only vac advance car I ever owned...that is, until i blew that engine, and installed a 351w with GT40 eecIIII SEFI, and a Tremec 5 speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
holdennaz09