Timing retards on its own but distributor stays put, WTF ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
The brand new distributor went in without a glitch, as they have always done before up until now.
I only needed to turn the oil pump drive about 1/8" for the dizzy to drop right in.
The engine sure loves it.
Obviously the problems I have been having were caused by a defective dizzy, something went awry with it, so a careful dissection and inspection is in order to learn what happened.

But the new distributor also created a new problem, went to the big city today, got up to highway speed (65mph) and saw clouds of oil smoke pouring out from under the truck.
For some reason oil is getting past the base of the distributor (the new gasket was seated perfectly) and dripping down to the exhaust pipes and burning off.
Now i get to pull it back out and see if I can try another gasket and do a complete close inspection of the machining on the unit to make sure there's no way for oil to escape.

Billy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
And you are more than welcome to come here and fight with the re-installation ...

I also suspect the goodwrench engine plant in Mexico did not grind the distributor drive gear on the cam in the proper location from the troubles I have had in the past trying to seat a dizzy.
Set harmonic balancer at 0 TDC (and I KNOW it has not slipped) drop distributor in to mesh with the gear and it's nowhere close, have had 4 distributors I had laying around in the engine, and all 4 gave me major grief trying to install.

This is interesting. I have a Mexican crate that i can not get to run right. I have changed everything. Literally everything connected to the motor, at least twice, many things 3 times, including the ecm and distributor. I guarantee i have more grounds than any member of this forum. I hate this piece of ****. I could have bought another one, and have money left over. It still has a miss. I'm doing a swap. Piss on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1