Thermal Compound HEI Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squirrely Brother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Switching my MSD HEI module to a GM 990 and wanted to check if it’s a light coat of compound like the MSD or does the GM 990 module need the recessed area to be filled with compound?

The computer store was out of Arctic Silver, so I picked up Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and don’t want to use too much or too little. I tried to look online, but didn’t see anything definitive for guidance. Any help would be appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
You may get a few different opinions on this, but if it were me I'd slap a little dielectric grease on the bottom, metal part, a thin but complete coating and then install. A little on the connector terminals as well. This is the age old method I have used and has worked very well though the years. Using the stuff you just purchased would be the same I would think. You really can't put to much on the bottom, you'll just waste it when it squeezes out, and I suppose if you really got heavy with it you could end up with it getting all over the inside of the distributor. But thin coat should be just fine.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@SirRobyn0 Thank you. I’ll go with a thin coat and not load up the recessed area.
The main point of that is to help heat transfer out of the module and to improve the ground, you could fill in the recessed area, but I don't think it's really necessary nor do I think it would really matter if you did or didn't. I should mention that I do try to make sure that the distributor side (where you bolt it to) is reasonably clean as well.

CrazyArk

Reaction score
First Name
Ark
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 High Sierra
Engine Size
355 (0.030+)
I actually had my ICM fail due to the previous owner never having a clue that the distributor was a heat sink for the dang thing. Cant hurt to use dielectric on the connectors, but I thanks to another keep thermal paste on hand to deal specifically with the heat transfer end so the module wont cook off like the last one. I suspect the dielectric can act the same way, I just trust the paste since its so reliable on a PC processor to handle the simple ICM for the truck. :)

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You want both. Dielectric grease is for actual electrical connections for corrosion and moisture. The thermal paste is for the module, you want the heat transfer to keep it at a stable temp.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Don't be shy about the dielectric grease and keep a spare module in your glovebox, you never know!
Yes, that's a good point. I keep a spare in my glove box as well, though they very reliable and should give many years of service. I figure at the small cost for a spare it is cheap insurance.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
duckboy_17