THERMAC valve not working. bad starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
so my THERMAC diverter valve isnt working. its supposed to block off oustide air during a cold start. thing is i can't find any online stores that sell new motors for the valve. anyone had this problem or know where to get a new one? i'd like to have it fixed because i have to spend a good ten minutes holding the gas down to warm the engine up in the morning.

also when i start the engine, it starts to lope. like its uneven firing. thing is it only does it on a cold start. is this a choke problem or is this also related to the THERMAC thing? with this hard start and loping thing it thorw out lots of black smoke. any other time it runs fine, with out smoke and even running

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The thermac valve on the air cleaner? It doesn't really do much and is likely not causing any of your issues (and all of them I've seen are heat actuated, not electric). Mine starts fine in the dead of winter and it has an open element air cleaner on it.

2500sierra81

Reaction score
First Name
Lorenzo
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 v8
ok. so what could be causing the problems i described? is it my carb? or the timing? i've heard people mention both as problems, but the thing is they run fine once the engine is warm...

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
Is the choke even working? It may be hooked up but is it moving the linkage when its needed to warm the truck up?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Sounds to me like the choke is out of adjustment.
AHH ya beat me Brad lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds to me the choke is adjusted to tight, and coming on to quick and staying on. Also could be that the choke is OK, but the choke pull off is not operating. But, rule out the ThermoVac. Those rarely worked for long anyway. All they did was block off the cold air at the air cleaner so that warmer air off the heat stove from the exhaust manifold would get up the carb first. That isn't going to cause your issues and if it doesn't work at all, I woudln't sweat it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Yup, what they said^^^^
Where in Cali are you?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Call Gm auto recycling in Rancho Cordova at 800-541-8169 for the valve. You may have to buy the whole air cleaner, but it should not cost a lot, they will ship to you.
I wish I was closer to you, I could help you get that carb setup...I used to live across the SR Bridge from you.
Out by Modesto now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Does Cali still require for the Thermostatic Air Cleaner to operate properly for passing emmisions??? If not, I'd blow it off. IF they do, then put it on ONLY to smog test, then put an aftermarket air cleaner on after the test and keep the Thermostatic one in the garage in a nice dry place with a shot of WD-40 or Liquid Wrench at the pintle of the ThermVac.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Does Cali still require for the Thermostatic Air Cleaner to operate properly for passing emmisions???
Yup.
I wish they would make vehicles 20 years or older exempt....at least from the visual.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yup.
I wish they would make vehicles 20 years or older exempt....at least from the visual.

That sucks for what little it does.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Does Cali still require for the Thermostatic Air Cleaner to operate properly for passing emmisions???

Hey Jim, have you ever seen the test tech actually check the operation of the TAC? Around here they just do a visual to see if the heat riser tube is intact then move on with the rest of the test. None of them even care that I've added a second snorkel, which effectively renders the TAC inop.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Hey Jim, have you ever seen the test tech actually check the operation of the TAC? Around here they just do a visual to see if the heat riser tube is intact then move on with the rest of the test. None of them even care that I've added a second snorkel, which effectively renders the TAC inop.

Yup, you're right sky. Pretty much it's a visual on the stove pipe. And we did fail a car if it came in with the lid flipped on the air cleaner. :roflbow: Acually we went out to the lobby and gave them a tongue lashing, and told them to come into the shop a flip it back, that if we did it, we'd first have to fail it, then charge a fix fee, then a retest fee. Then told them, before coming in for a test, flip it, and if he wanted to flip it back after I signed his test sheet, I didn't give a rats ass. I was easy on that frivolous chicken **** bs but I never once, and was a hard ass on tailpipe emmisions. That is what counts anyway. :crazy:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Yes, when I still had my carb on the burb, they hooked up a vacuum pump to operate it...that was before the TBI air cleaners with the bi metal spring.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrew45