The Future of Battery Electric Vehicles (and I don't like them)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
just 150 birds over 10 yrs? that's like 15 birds a year, or about 1.3 birds per month. how many birds a yr get smashed by jets, cars, semi's, trains, ....bet ya it's a lot more than 1.3 per month.
even plain old windows take out more birds than any wind turbine.
150 kinda pales in comparison to the 82 000 birds killed in just the Deepwater Horizon spill...or the 6 000 turtles, 30 000 marine mammals, and vast amounts of fish from BP's screw up...
then ya got Exxon Valdez spill, Kalamazoo spill, Columbia spill, etc, etc, etc, .......
like i say, if you don't like 'em fine. but trying to compare "footprints", ice does waaaaay more damage to the planet than ev's ever will. and i'm not an ev advocate, but i know dam well when GM, toyota, mercedes, ford, honda, etc, etc, etc have invested billions in ev's, their not just gonna throw in the towel cause some people don't like them. like it or not, there here to stay.
just don't understand all the bitching, the more ev's sold, the more gas left for those of us that drive big blocks

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I've been following along the thread, but haven't commented until now. I agree with some of what has been said, I do think however the biggest thing to keep in mind is no matter where we get the energy it has a seriously negative impact on the environment. Gas, of course we have the drilling, the oil leaks, the ocean contamination and bird loss from spills. No there is no lithium battery to dispose of but all the burning of gasoline creates serious issues. At least we aren't sprinkling ourselves with a coating of lead with that anymore.... but there are plenty of other toxic additives. And how many guys hear have trucks that had cats and have removed them? Look I'm not judging but it goes to my next point we are use to the damage gasoline fuel automobiles causes the environment and most are comfortable with it. Does that make it better then electric? Does it make it worse? IDK. For electric we have the battery manufacture and eventual disposal. Then there is power generation. Here in Washington we have a bunch of hydroelectric dams. Why because it was once thought to be a very environmentally friendly alternative to burning something, (coal, oil ect) for power production, now we know only a small portion of fish make it up a fish ladder, and once they do one the other side the river is not a river it's a lake now. Fish populations plummet and are now sustained thanks in part to fish hatcheries. Our current green power is wind and solar. We just read an article about wind in this thread but what about solar? I guess the answer there is we don't know yet what it's negative effects are, but at this point it only makes up 3.3% of the nations power.

Check out this chart below, so it doesn't specifically say this in the chart, but this is for electrical generation. The article defines modern renewals as geothermal, solar, hydro, wind, and biofuels and you know I just ripped a hole in why hydro is not environmentally friendly. Fossil fuels of course is oil, gas, and coal. Others is not defined but I'm betting based on numbers I've seen elsewhere it's nuclear. I think the chart speaks for itself so I won't point out that the modern renewals is not up as much as fossil fuels in terms of the number of exajoules produced from the source.

You must be registered for see images attach

Circling back to cars, the only potential benefits I can see to burning fossil fuel for electric power production used to power cars vs burning it directly in cars. Possibly less refining, certainly a more controlled burning environment in the power plant, and ability to control what goes out in the smoke stack, which I would think results in my less air pollution.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
just 150 birds over 10 yrs? that's like 15 birds a year, or about 1.3 birds per month. how many birds a yr get smashed by jets, cars, semi's, trains, ....bet ya it's a lot more than 1.3 per month.
even plain old windows take out more birds than any wind turbine.
150 kinda pales in comparison to the 82 000 birds killed in just the Deepwater Horizon spill...or the 6 000 turtles, 30 000 marine mammals, and vast amounts of fish from BP's screw up...
then ya got Exxon Valdez spill, Kalamazoo spill, Columbia spill, etc, etc, etc, .......
like i say, if you don't like 'em fine. but trying to compare "footprints", ice does waaaaay more damage to the planet than ev's ever will. and i'm not an ev advocate, but i know dam well when GM, toyota, mercedes, ford, honda, etc, etc, etc have invested billions in ev's, their not just gonna throw in the towel cause some people don't like them. like it or not, there here to stay.
just don't understand all the bitching, the more ev's sold, the more gas left for those of us that drive big blocks

150 birds was just bald eagles. And since they think there are only 300,000 bald eagles in the US that is why the number is small.

According to the Sierra Club around 1 million birds are killed per year by wind turbines. Think that number is bad? Power lines themselves are 25 million. Cats? 1-4 BILLION. Windows on buildings? 1 billion.

So yeah- people kill everything around them whether they are trying to or not.

And I'm still saying electric vehicles SUCK horribly for actually doing any work. I'm taking a vacation towing a trailer to the coast in my diesel this summer. With my Touareg TDI towing a 5,000 lb trailer I can do it with filling up twice (and I usually drive straight thru (12 hour drive) that includes 30 minutes in fuel ups. I clean the windshield, check tires...

Now if I had a Rivian truck (I'd be broke just buying the stupid thing) but there have been tests when pulling 5,000 lbs drop their "impressive EV range" down to 100 miles. If its very cold or there are hills it gets less than that. So now all of a sudden I will have 6.8 stops. And since I have to go over 2 big passes that will be an even 7 stops. Rivians typically charge in 72 minutes on a fast charger to get from 10% to 90%. Great. So I'd have 8 hours and 25 minutes of charging. Now it is a 19 hour and 45 minute drive. Oh wait- the Rivian has its charge port on its nose. And charging stations are typically pull in (and not pull thru). Most charging stations if you "pull in" and you have a trailer your trailer is going to be out in traffic pissing people off.

No thanks. I'll check back in 10 years.

They will need to work on those internal combustion hydrogen engines some more then have 100,000 refilling stations across the US. Then maybe.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
just 150 birds over 10 yrs?
I kill more birds than that, but I don't kill eagles.

So yeah- people kill everything around them whether they are trying to or not.

And I'm still saying electric vehicles SUCK horribly for actually doing any work.
^ These are the two take-aways. Most everything else is highly opinionated, and not worth arguing over. Thanks for your real world example, @77 K20.

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Look at it this way if in the next 20 years there are a significant amount of electric cars out there and if supply and demand continues to work as it has for ever the price of gas will come down so us squarebody freeks will be able to afford gas again. Maybe I'll buy a second one.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
You are assuming there will be a choice in the matter. I'm thinking that they will just make sure the price of fuel stays high- and then goes higher. That way there is incentive to go buy an expensive EV. Then when that fails start doing penalties for driving a gas vehicle. Extra road taxes, extra vehicle registration taxes, or just make it illegal to register a gas vehicle.

And when most everyone is using EV vehicles then they will be short on road maintenance funds. There are no more gasoline taxes for road repairs. Then what? Tax per mile you drive on your EV? Big EV registration taxes? Cost of electricity going up- or electricity being taxed by the state. Endless possibilities...

I keep seeing articles about how much you can save switching to an EV. It won't last. It will get taxed or penalized so that it is just as expensive.

At least that is how I see things playing out.

Last edited:

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Might be wise to start buying bicycles and skateboards. The resale price on them is going to skyrocket once people can't afford cars.

CRM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
350 CI
Here's an interesting read, with facts to back it up, no less.

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Here's an interesting read, with facts to back it up, no less.

are you kidding about "facts"??
conservative daily news is far from accurate.
their reporting is "QUESTIONABLE", "POOR SOURCES" and big time pushers of fake and false news..

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Rumbledawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crewcab
Engine Size
Ahhhh...another libtard.
libtard? oh yeah, here we go... another brainwashed nut job
i'm sorry if you can't handle or don't like facts, but that's your problem-not mine. do you always lash out like this in a dis-agreement?
and i couldn't give 2-sh!ts 'bout politics. i don't care who runs my country, who runs your country or whoever runs the god dam world, i haven't voted in over 50 yrs. like i said, people act stupid 'bout politics, and this is a prime example. i drive a 6 mpg big block and i'm smart enough to realize ev's will extend our oil supply so i can keep pumping 7 buck a gallon thru my 7.4.
i however don't belive all the ******** shoved out now a days, and with all the ******** they shove, one just has to check their "facts", cause sorry, i don't belive everything some disgruntled and upset individual voter posts.
growing up my old man always taught me two things, your word is your bond, and don't lie
i'm out, i was here to talk about ev's, but as usual, a right wing nut job JUST HAS to turn it into politics (big surprise....not)

thanks for posting non b-sh!t
another angle to renewable energy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406