the blue truck has speedo issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey......i broke the original speedometer cable in this truck by not seating it fully into the cluster and the tip broke off. So i put in the speedo cable from the red truck that was still good and it now works, but its way too fast. Like its showing pegged out when im probably dping 70 mph.

Both ends are in...but i did fool with the speedo gear in the trans a bit. Could that have altered it any, me turning it? Or what else could be the case? Thanks...

85 c10

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Bump

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Did the red truck have a transducer on the speedo? Yes messing with the speedo gear could alter the output.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The problem is most likely within the speedometer head as opposed to the cable/drive gear. Specifically, the hair spring was probably stretched and weakened when the original cable was breaking up. See 6 below:

The theory of operation of a cable driven speedometer:

1. The speedometer cable, driven by the gear that rides on the transmission output shaft, spins at a rate that varies with road speed.

2. The other end of the cable is attached to a magnet which spins around (at the same speed as the cable) inside the speed cup.

3. The magnet rotates continually in the same direction (in this case, counter-clockwise) - unless the vehicle is operated in reverse.

4. The spinning magnet creates eddy currents in the speed cup.

5. The eddy currents make the speed cup rotate counter-clockwise as well - in an attempt to catch up with the magnet. Remember that the magnet and the speed cup are not joined together in any way—there's an air gap between them.

6. There is a hair spring attached to the speed cup's output shaft. The hair spring limits the amount that the speed cup/output shaft can move for a given road speed.

7. The pointer - that actually indicates the vehicles velocity in MPH/KPH - is rigidly fastened to the end of the output shaft.

8. So as the speed cup/shaft rotates, so does the pointer - up the dial, indicating the car's speed.

Attachments

• how-speedometer-works.jpg
    how-speedometer-works.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP