TH400 Kick down Switch Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slick51

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've got at 1985 C10 that originally had a 4.3 but I've swaped in a 350. I'm still running the TH400 which I think is what came with the truck. The kick down switch is mounted under the dash and works if manually pulled, but the gas pedal never makes contact with the switch. With the pedal to the floor the top side of the pedal almost touches the switch but it's far from activating it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I can post pics later today when I get home from work if needed.

Thanks!

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
There's a thread on here somewhere about this, I had the same problem. Foamy Pirate helped out, it is an adjustable switch. Push it down towards the pedal. It will make a scratchy, crackly sound as it moves. Then fully press the gas pedal. It might have to re-adjust witht he same sound but will now be at the correct spot to properly kick down.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
There's a thread on here somewhere about this, I had the same problem. Foamy Pirate helped out, it is an adjustable switch. Push it down towards the pedal. It will make a scratchy, crackly sound as it moves. Then fully press the gas pedal. It might have to re-adjust witht he same sound but will now be at the correct spot to properly kick down.

Do'h, I didn't even look to see that it's a sticky. And it was SlickGTP that helped out.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Do'h, I didn't even look to see that it's a sticky. And it was SlickGTP that helped out.

I just made it a sticky. :waytogo:

Slick51

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Ok that seems to have done the trick, what a easy fix, although a bit scary.

So now it make contact and actives the switch, but it only moves it about 1/4 of an inch, not the whole throw of the switch. Is that correct?

Thanks a ton for your help!!!!

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yup, that's correct... The switch only makes contact at the very end of the throw of the pedal, not necessarily of the switch, hence the adjustment. :waytogo:

Thanks btw to PawPaw for making the other thread a sticky! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes