tbi flooding out, gas in oil, injectors pouring not spraying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
checked my fuel pressure at the filter and it's 12 psi running.

As for the digital volt meter don't got one, gonna have to get one tho to check things out for sure.

MAP sensor is relocated, new rubber line going to it.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
checked my fuel pressure at the filter and it's 12 psi running.

As for the digital volt meter don't got one, gonna have to get one tho to check things out for sure.

MAP sensor is relocated, new rubber line going to it.

****, I wish I could see a datalog...that would. make this process a lot less painful.
Know anyone with an OBD 1 scanner by any chance?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
nope nobody with one.

I wished I could datalog as well, I'd like to learn and know everything I can as far as all my sensors and crap go.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
nope nobody with one.

I wished I could datalog as well, I'd like to learn and know everything I can as far as all my sensors and crap go.

Was looking at your build thread, couldnt see the MAP sensor, where did you mount it, and it's not upside down, is it?
Connectors should be facing down.
Any exhaust leaks around the O2 sensor?

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
right now it's behind the motor, on the bellhousing area, I had it on the firewall with the connectors facing out towards the front, now they are facing straight up.

So they should not face up then huh? not sure why but what the heck easy flip I mean fix LOL.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you have a Digital volt meter, unplug the injectors, and do an ohm test, they should be very low at 1.2 ohms each. To check them measure the lead resistance of the DVM leads (short them together). Then subtract that from the readings from the injectors.
I know its a long shot, but we need to eliminate bad injector windings.

Also, I notice that you have not mentioned the MAP sensor in the things that you have checked.
If ANYTHING is wrong with the vac connections, or the electrical connections, the truck will run pig rich. If you still have the original vac line going to it, make sure its in good shape. A low vac reading from the MAP, tells the ECM to richen her up.

The map sensor can cause it to run pig rich, but the injectors should still have a good spray pattern. Right?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
same thing i thought.

I beleive the bad/old gas is maybe plugged them up. I have an in line stock style frame rail filter on it and it's new not plugged up. I think the injectors may be gummed or plugged.

as for o2 no shouldn't be any leaks, never was before that I know of, and I have stainless shorties so they aint rusted.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Weird. I had a problem like this on a CPI motor in my Blazer. Spider injectors went out and dumped bout a half a tank into the motor....... Dont see how that could be the case with TBI......

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
The map sensor can cause it to run pig rich, but the injectors should still have a good spray pattern. Right?

Not sure how bad his injectors are, but I have seen them dump fuel....litterally, with a real ****** up MAP sensor...wide open, 100% duty cycle.

They have been known to fill with fuel vapor after shut down if they are upside down, water can also get into the connector...even though its a weatherpack plug.
Should be mounted no lower than the throttle body mounting surface, everything pointed down.

I had a bad set, they ohmed out fine, but were clogged.
I took them out and soaked them in a coffee can with Seafoam, and had 2 wires hooked up to pulse them with a 12 volt battery to help loosen up any **** on the needles.
after they soaked for 2 hours, I used a hudson sprayer with more seafoam in it, and hooked the hose up to the spray end of the injector(no filters on the injectors)and pressured up the sprayer, and pulsed it again to back flush.
Lucky I had an extra hudson sprayer to play with. Had to modify it a bit with another piece of 3/8 ID fuel line and hose clamps to fit over the injector outlet.
A completely different engine afterwards, more power too.

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have also taken the injector pod off the T-body base, plug the return port, and hook up the feed side with a barbed fitting....let the pod hang in a clean white bucket, pump up the tank(or plumb a compressor line to it)and pulse the injectors with 12 volts. White bucket lets you know how much **** you are getting rid of.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Check the regulator. They have been known to go bad and leak causing the rich condition. Since it has been sitting up it may have a crack in the diaphram.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Check the regulator. They have been known to go bad and leak causing the rich condition. Since it has been sitting up it may have a crack in the diaphram.

When the TBI diaphragms go, it dumps fuel out of the side of the regulator, pictured in the assmebly on the far right.
You must be registered for see images attach

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'll turn that MAP over, looks like I'm gonna have to get a voltage meter and check resistance on all my sensors and such, and most likely pull the tbi unit apart and get the injectors out to clean them. I know I don't have to pull it apart but maybe it's gummed up inside too.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'll turn that MAP over, looks like I'm gonna have to get a voltage meter and check resistance on all my sensors and such, and most likely pull the tbi unit apart and get the injectors out to clean them. I know I don't have to pull it apart but maybe it's gummed up inside too.

Its no a tough job to rebuild the throttle body at all. The kits are fairly cheap.
probably about an hour job, that includes letting the parts soak for 20 minutes.
It is well worth the extra work to soak the injectors, and pulse them a little while they are soaking, you can even wire in an electronic hazard flasher relay to do the job for you.

you can use any injector cleaner you like...Lucas and 3M would be at the top of my list. But BG44 or even gumout works good. buy enough to fill the bottom of a coffee can, over an inch deep.
When you re install the injectors, coat the O rings lightly with petroleum jelly, to keep them from tearing when they go back in.
Take note of how the injectors are positioned, maybe scribe a mark in them, and on the throttle body...they have roll pins in the bottoms that sit in a recessed area in the injector pod.
The hardest part is putting the regulator back together...you need to push it down with the spring in it, straight down. Then you have to start 2 of the screws while holding it down at the same time.
You will need a set of TORX drivers....at least T15,T20, and T 25

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size