Talk me into or out of TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
I have an 87 V10 with a 305 from an 84 that has been converted to carb. It came with an old Edelbrock 1406 and with a bit of cleaning and a new electric choke I got it running pretty good. I then got a Performer intake and a SMI Quadrajet and I got it running even better and about 12 mpg combined. My truck has a th350 and a np205 so nothing is original there and hurts fuel economy a bit.

I recently got a like new MSD Street Fighter Distributor and set initial timing to 15 degrees with 21 degrees mechanical advance, 36 total. The thing is like a new truck, for a 305 its an animal. Runs perfect starts right up at -6 and has no bog. I seem to be filling up more frequently but it has snowed and been really cold. Plus I travel at a higher rate of speed with the increased power.

I found a local 87 that won't start and a broken front driveshaft for about $500 bucks. Has a couple of new parts that come with it like a new fuel pump,, bed bolts, and inner fenders. I really wish I hadn't just bought new ones last month, ohh well. I still have a good harness in the truck but can now get all the little stuff to switch it back plus part it out and get bits that I need and probably break even.

My question is even though I love the carb and playing around with it, should I switch over to TBI. I see some of you go through a bit of trouble to make the switch. Is it worth it? Thanks

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Sounds like you are happy with how it is already.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You can at least have the parts set aside for the future swap and run her like she is for now. Nothing wrong with a pile of spare parts, you never know how long they will be around the way things are getting sent to salvage anymore.

bobkyle2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
I like my carbs.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like you like to tinker, so keep the carb.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Pick your poison. As suggested, seems you're happy with the Carb at the moment. I myself, with all the things I can do to a vehicle have never considered myself good with carbs but have done OK. Now days, I prefer electronic injection. I'm sick of dicking around with Auto Chokes, picky carbs and idling issues. I'd be going TBI myself if I had the choice.

I like those $500 deals and breaking even and/or making profit even. That's pretty much how I've acquired all my squares and they're all pretty much free considering some I've made money to cover the small purchases of the ones I haven't parted out.

junkyardog05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
454/ 400 turbo/ NP203
I agree with HotRodPC both setups have pro's and con's just depends on what your going to do with your rig. Since you are considering fuel injection, the TBI setup is the easiest set up to troubleshoot and work on.

Personally I'm a fuel injection guy over carb. TBI system gives less trouble than a carb.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I would stick with TBI if you are in cold climate - It was -25 degrees without wind here in Iowa the other day and the truck started right up.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Sounds like you may have some slight adjustments with the MSD, but its running good.
TBI will yeild reliability for a daily driver, that does no need much attention, but will also be a bit on the slow side, compaired to what makes you smile now. This is due to the lower 450ish cfm tBi, compaired to the 750 from the Qjet. If you get good cold start performance, and mileage with the QJet, stick with it. But i think you could get better with some distributor tuning. 23 MPg HWy is not uncommon. Another thing to consider, if you are not already doing it, is run an oEM air cleaner with the thermostatic heat riser hooked up. This will help in fuel atomizing in colder temps, and better all around driveability.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Sounds like you may have some slight adjustments with the MSD, but its running good.
TBI will yeild reliability for a daily driver, that does no need much attention, but will also be a bit on the slow side, compaired to what makes you smile now. This is due to the lower 450ish cfm tBi, compaired to the 750 from the Qjet. If you get good cold start performance, and mileage with the QJet, stick with it. But i think you could get better with some distributor tuning. 23 MPg HWy is not uncommon. Another thing to consider, if you are not already doing it, is run an oEM air cleaner with the thermostatic heat riser hooked up. This will help in fuel atomizing in colder temps, and better all around driveability.

:wave:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'm having nothing but issues with my 88 tbi, going to switch it to carb so I vote carb or nothing.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I'm having nothing but issues with my 88 tbi, going to switch it to carb so I vote carb or nothing.

Beginning to wonder if these TBI problems aren't because of electrically worn out injectors. I am soo outa practice....That was one of my reasons for switching backwards from TPI, was to see if I could find what the issue is behind all these headachs.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I am a quadrajet fan, also enjoyed my 1406.

TBI is the ****, I have one Jims86 rebuilt for me on my freshened up big block in the dream truck and I wont look back. If you drive it on the street on a daily basis just go TBI.

I learned alot about TBI on my engine project, basically all you need is the throttle body itself, some of the sensors that plug in and the wiring harness. As far as an intake you just pick one you like for a carb and put an adapter plate on it.

Tell you what, I have a throttle body for a small block sitting in my back yard I dont really need. I also have an adapter plate I accidently ordered for the small block. If you could use it give my your info and I will ship it over, including the Map sensor, bracket and other nonsense that goes with it.

Here is my TBI setup on the big block:

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69