Tailgate trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjohn

Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500 suburban
Engine Size
Anyone add the chrome tailgate trim on a 91 suburban. Can it be done does it look good just seen an original one local no issues 100 bucks I didn't need it but want it lol

rjohn

Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500 suburban
Engine Size
Just ignore this I went out had a good look at burb don't think it will work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Yah - that won't work on a burb.

It's designed to seat down in the cove of a pickup tailgate. The suburban gate is flat in that area because of the window mechanism.

K

rjohn

Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500 suburban
Engine Size
I think Iam still gonna buy it I feel.like it's worth more it's in mint condition.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
A couple issues to bring up. The band you have pictured is for 73-80 trucks like in photo #1. It would be narrower than your gate plus it will have the notch for the truck's tailgate handle.

Photo #2 shows one on an 81 & up K5 Blazer. They don't have the notch like the pick up version.

The only issue I see if you go with an 81 & up band is look at photo #3. There is an extra space between the taillight and the gate on a Suburban that the Blazer doesn't have. I would assume the Suburban gate is a little narrower than a Blazer. You would have to cut this version into 3 pieces.

Photo #4 is a Blazer tailgate and appears to have the same relief detail as the Suburban.

Photo #5 is a band for an 89-91 Blazer with the backing removed.

You must be registered for see images

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
A couple issues to bring up. The band you have pictured is for 73-80 trucks like in photo #1. It would be narrower than your gate plus it will have the notch for the truck's tailgate handle.

Photo #2 shows one on an 81 & up K5 Blazer. They don't have the notch like the pick up version.

The only issue I see if you go with an 81 & up band is look at photo #3. There is an extra space between the taillight and the gate on a Suburban that the Blazer doesn't have. I would assume the Suburban gate is a little narrower than a Blazer. You would have to cut this version into 3 pieces.

Photo #4 is a Blazer tailgate and appears to have the same relief detail as the Suburban.

Photo #5 is a band for an 89-91 Blazer with the backing removed.

You must be registered for see images

Photo #1 isn’t the only tailgate trim option from 73-80. Here’s my trim(original) on my ‘80 K25 Sierra Classic

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Photo #1 isn’t the only tailgate trim option from 73-80. Here’s my trim(original) on my ‘80 K25 Sierra Classic

I was aware of the other design. My old '77 K5 had it. I didn't include it as he had the other style he was looking to purchase. and good luck finding one in good shape.

andym22

Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k25
Engine Size

The tailgate design changed I believe in '80 and that trim will not work on the earlier tailgates you can tell by the hidden gas tank filler on the bed side. I ran into this and wound up changing the tailgate to be able to accommodate the wider band. If you do change the tailgate to the newer style you will have to change the hinge points as well to the newer style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84