Tail light sockets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

81squared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Truck Year
Truck Model
scottsdale
Engine Size
I’m looking to replace my tail light housing and the sockets that plug into them.

my old ones are worn and corroded

I keep seeing these sockets and these housings.

they both say they got my application but the prongs on the socket look different than the ones on the housing

is there a special socket for this truck ?

You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I’m looking to replace my tail light housing and the sockets that plug into them.

they both say they got my application but the prongs on the socket look different than the ones on the housing

The socket you have pictured is for the sidemarker light, within the taillight, that socket would also work for the front sidemarkers.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

yes. you push the rubber/plastic socket into the middle, left opening on the tail light backing. be sure you get fresh, new covers for your new parts :)
are you replacing the harness or splicing in a new socket? Do you need all 3?
The other two CAN be replaced by the same socket, one that supports dual filaments, but you need to make sure the one for the tail light has a dual filament socket as to support running and tail lights. The reverse light just needs to be on or off, so a 2 or 3 wire would work.

also make sure you get a new foam seal for the new covers, keeps everything clean

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
if you need tomorrow i can go open up my tail light housing and show you the sockets/where they go /how it all fits together. I had to kind of cobble together a harness because of the rigging on my original stuff. I have a couple old tail light harnesses for similar age trucks sitting in my shed, too. I hav e a forward harness and a tail light harness unmolested except for some taps for a trailer wiring.

also, the screws for the housing are #8 - 1 inch screws :)
I think @bucket is the one who was a life saver on that for size since I had squares, phillips, standard, and torx screws all holding mine. 8 per side, 4 on the under housing, 4 on the outer. I used simple phillips, but a square or torx would be a smart idea for longevitiy, especially coated for corrosion.

You may also need new U clips which retain the screws to the bedsie. Those would be for a #8 screw, and i found a kit at harbor freight in their hardware section that worked. Since its not load bearing or something forward facing, I dont see why they wont work for a long time.
https://www.harborfreight.com/170-piece-u-clip-and-screw-assortment-67588.html

i had a local hf so that is why I used them, since I needed some for my f150 grille and headlight bezels and this kit was able to do both

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheBeast1990