Tachometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So in my 83 k10 i have a tachometer, but its a new shiny chrome one, mounted under the radio and to the right a bit, i don't mind it, but if i could incorporate it into the dash i'd love to.
Where the clock (I believe) is supposed to go, theres nothing, just a black suface with a white circle. So, I was thinking, i could possibly put one in there.
Yet, i can't find an older style tachometer anywhere i look that'll fit with the rest of the gauges. If i can;t find one that blends good, then ill just leave it as it is.
I don't want to alter much, as if i have to and can't just put it in that open slot then ill just leave it where it is.
So, is it possible to put a gauge in that open spot, and where would i find a gauge that would properly fit and blend well?

Thanks!

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There are some small tachs that will fit in that spot. The Z Series from Autometer comes to mind. The font is an extremely good match to the earlier gauges, and will probably match your gauges really well too. I also believe VDO makes one that will fit nicely. You will be looking for a 2 1/8" (or there abouts) diameter tach.

The other option is to put in a factory tach. The factory tach goes where gas gauge currently is and a smaller gas gauge goes in the open spot in the cluster you are talking about. I in fact just received my tach to do the conversion today from the UPS lady. I will be adding to my cluster teardown and rebuild thread within the next couple of days.

edit: SlickGTP was the one that put a VDO tach in his open spot. Post #14... http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4792

Last edited:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok, thanks!
Both gauges look very similar to the others, not sure which one i might choose yet.
Bu, loking at the VDO tach's, i see there are programmable ones, or preset ones.
Ive never hooked up one of these guages before,i was assuming i would just disconnect that and reconnect another. Is this so, or is it more complicated?
Thanks!

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Maybe you need one like this.
attachment.php

CHECK IT OUT HERE

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1647&page=10

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I always wonder why people mount tachometers in the cab - especially on trucks equipped with automatic transmissions.

Even if the transmission is a manual type, what is the purpose? Isn't possible to determine shift points by ear?

Here is a useful place to mount a tach:

You must be registered for see images attach

It is visible from almost anywhere in the engine compartment - very convenient for those times when engine RPM is required to make a repair/adjustment.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I always wonder why people mount tachometers in the cab - especially on trucks equipped with automatic transmissions.

Even if the transmission is a manual type, what is the purpose? Isn't possible to determine shift points by ear?

Here is a useful place to mount a tach:

You must be registered for see images attach

It is visible from almost anywhere in the engine compartment - very convenient for those times when engine RPM is required to make a repair/adjustment.

Its just nice to have one.. I personally use mine for a reference to how fast im going. Since my speedo is off, i just get to the rpm which i know is 65. Theres nothing wrong with having a tach in an auto vehicle, have you ever heard of shifting a auto manually?? I do it quite often actually.

HAZZARDJOHN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Its just nice to have one.. I personally use mine for a reference to how fast im going. Since my speedo is off, i just get to the rpm which i know is 65. Theres nothing wrong with having a tach in an auto vehicle, have you ever heard of shifting a auto manually?? I do it quite often actually.

I shift my auto manually often too. I can hear the exhaust make a certain sound and I know I am at the right rpm to shift. I need to swap my original cluster for the cluster I bought with the tach, because with those 4:10 gears I know the engine is screaming at 65 mph. I need an overdrive...

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Where do you by this? I want this setup, except my 91 Suburban has warning lights on that side. If I could figure out how to relocate those that might be the best setup to keep the OEM look.
Here is the new link for the tach.

http://www.gmsports.com/content/new-tachometer-1973-1986-chevy-and-gmc-trucks

Sick!
Really would love to put one of these in, just not certain i want to spend $129 for a tach.
Was it pretty easy to install, the loss of the warning lights don't effect you at all?
Its $195, installs easily and I only lost the seat belt light and brake warning light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85