t-56 swap??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chadwick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chadwick
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton
Engine Size
Im wanting to do a t-56 out of a camaro into my c10. Has anyone done this? If so what did you use to do the swap? But Im going from a 350 turbo to the 6 speed.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've thought about it before, and thought about what would be needed. I have done the swap in an older Camaro though.

I'd go with a setup from an LT1 car, and use the Camaro slave with the truck pedals and clutch master cylinder. That should get it close, fine tuning could be done by changing the clutch master attaching point on the pedal, making the rod adjustable, or trying a different master cylinder. You can use a driveshaft from a 700r4 equipped truck. The T56 is electric speedo only, so you would need an aftermarket speedo, or adapt a cluster from a '90-'91. I'm completely unsure of where the shifter would poke through the floor at, or how long the shifter would need to be.

One downside to the LT1 style T56 is the pull-type clutch, it's expensive. I bought a Zoom clutch and have been happy with it.

Chadwick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chadwick
Truck Year
Truck Model
1/2 ton
Engine Size
I've thought about it before, and thought about what would be needed. I have done the swap in an older Camaro though.

I'd go with a setup from an LT1 car, and use the Camaro slave with the truck pedals and clutch master cylinder. That should get it close, fine tuning could be done by changing the clutch master attaching point on the pedal, making the rod adjustable, or trying a different master cylinder. You can use a driveshaft from a 700r4 equipped truck. The T56 is electric speedo only, so you would need an aftermarket speedo, or adapt a cluster from a '90-'91. I'm completely unsure of where the shifter would poke through the floor at, or how long the shifter would need to be.

One downside to the LT1 style T56 is the pull-type clutch, it's expensive. I bought a Zoom clutch and have been happy with it.

what year of truck should i look for a clutch master cylinder out of? Also your saying that i should use the camaro slave?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
what year of truck should i look for a clutch master cylinder out of? Also your saying that i should use the camaro slave?

The clutch master and pedals would need to come from an '85-up truck with vacuum assist brakes. Yeah, use the Camaro slave because it will mate with the trans. I never looked into it, but it may also be possible to use the Camaro master with some modification.

Last edited:

endless addiction

Reaction score
First Name
brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i just picked up and ls1 t56 6 speed ive heard that the ls1 is stronger than the lt1 somebody correct me if im wrong i belive the lt1 t56 will bolt up to the older motors the ls1 has a longer input shaft so u have to buy an adapter i found one that works with a t10 bellhousing : ) its a lil more work to swap the ls1 t56. also you might want to look up a mid shift kit that will move the shifter to the inspection cover but its not necessary to do. hope your build goes good keep us posted

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
Did you ever do this swap??

Myojunk

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Has anyone done this swap? I'd love to see pics!

Str8-86-c10

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
5.7L LS1
I am in the middle of this swap right now.
Ls1 t56
Shifter comes through the floor just after where the tranny hump raises in front of the seat.
Best bet is to buy an engine / trans that are still togeather from the doner camaro. Mine came from a 2002 firebird.
Im using a 3/4" willwood master with the stock slave. Adjustment is key... not to over extend the slave and blow out the seals.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So you are saying a stock shifter location will interfere with a bench seat or console, correct? With your LS swap, do you have the engine/trans placed forward or rearward of stock?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88