Sudden odd electrical issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
You better knock on some wood man. 7 yrs is a long life for a battery.
Shes never skipped a beat! Ive left the headlight on over 8 hours and it whipped that tired ol tree fiddy over like it was a 4 cyl

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
You better knock on some wood man. 7 yrs is a long life for a battery.

Battery in my truck is dated Jan 2012. Still starts *almost* every time, unless I've left it sitting for a month in cold weather or something.
I've had batteries last 10 years before. Just depends on what kind of battery you get. A $70 wal-mart special is not going to last as long as some better brands.

But yeah, I had issues with my dome light not working with the door open but randomly coming on while driving down the street so I just pulled the bulbs. Now that you mention it though, it did start acting up after tapping into it to power my "temporary" head unit (that still sits on the passenger seat floor because I refuse to cut my dash). I don't know if they're related though, the dimmer on my headlight switch that also turns the dome light on has always been screwy. Maybe I'll get around to replacing that AND the little door plunger thing and see if it makes a difference.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Battery in my truck is dated Jan 2012. Still starts *almost* every time, unless I've left it sitting for a month in cold weather or something.
I've had batteries last 10 years before. Just depends on what kind of battery you get. A $70 wal-mart special is not going to last as long as some better brands.

But yeah, I had issues with my dome light not working with the door open but randomly coming on while driving down the street so I just pulled the bulbs. Now that you mention it though, it did start acting up after tapping into it to power my "temporary" head unit (that still sits on the passenger seat floor because I refuse to cut my dash). I don't know if they're related though, the dimmer on my headlight switch that also turns the dome light on has always been screwy. Maybe I'll get around to replacing that AND the little door plunger thing and see if it makes a difference.
When i bought it i almost **** when they said $180 but it has been a GREAT battery and id buy another if i had too.

Red Rex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 1500 4 WD shortbed
Engine Size
After the fuse ALWAYS check your grounds

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
Do you have a plunger in each door jamb or just the driver? Are they both triggering the same 'on when closed' issue?

Super-Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Does your neighbor own a Ford? Your ride might have caught a communicable disease. Can get awfully lonely after dark. . .

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
10-4. I was thinking the plastic blade fuses. I guess '78 must have been the last year for glass, as the '79 I had, had the newer style, iirc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76