Sudden excessive pedal travel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
So I got in the dooley today and as I pulled out the pedal felt real soft. We replaced the master cylinder and did a brake bleed about 3 weeks ago and the pedal has been decent since then. It has never been what I would call fantastic, always a bit soft and too much travel in my opinion. I parked it last Friday and this morning it felt like there was nothing there for the first half of the travel, then the brakes kicked in good. Brake performance seems the same as it has been, theres just nothing for the first half of the pedal travel. Any thoughts? Should I bleed again and see if it helps? Last time I was under it the rubber brake lines looked ok, although I did not look closely. All help is appreciated!

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Is the pedal soft but still stopping where it did before? Or is the pedal going down further than before? All the way to the floor?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
It does not go all the way to the floor unless I really stand on it, and I mean stand on it! I don't think it really goes any further than before, it just seems like there is no resistance for the first half of the travel, then it kicks in like normal.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Found the source of my problem. Before leaving work I checked the M/C on a hunch and hot damn... Front reservoir (for the rear wheels) was bone dry. Looked underneath and the driver's side rear backing plate was soaked, probably a wheel cylinder gone out. So I topped up the fluid and drove home. Brakes are still squishy, but this just gives me a good reason to do the disc swap I've been wanting to do. I'll deal with it for now, I only drive 5 miles a day anyway, all under 40 so I should be fine as long as I keep the fluid up. Disc swap here we come!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub