Suburban Rear Heat & AC removal/installation/compatability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
Howdy. My 87 Suburban did not come with rear heat or AC, but it does have factory in-dash AC. There's a guy parting one locally that supposedly has both, and I'm going to check it out this week. However, in doing some reading in old threads here, it looks like the rear heat was a completely separate unit from the AC? The AC is an overhead unit, and the heater was a floor-mount? Did some have one and not the other? With both, would there then be 4 lines running front to back? Does the AC tie in up front or is it a completely separate unit?
Other than power wiring and the control switches up front, is everything else pretty obvious as far as what I would need to remove to get everything? Any tricks or should it all bolt out pretty easily?
Lastly the parts rig is an 89, does that make any difference? Anything else to watch out for or is it pretty straightforward? All tips and advice appreciated, thanks...

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
My '89 has rear ac only. It seems like the heater units aren't that common, I've only seen pictures of them. Yes, the ac is tied in to the front system. Removing one would be pretty straightforward, the only part that might be tricky is where the rear lines enter the cabin at the back corner. It will look like this but I'm not sure how they come out.

You must be registered for see images attach

I think I remember @89Suburban removed his ac from the back, maybe he will have some input when he checks in.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Those lines from that picture run up the farthest back, passenger side pillar, behind a trim piece. Then up into the ac housing and into a condenser up there.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
here are a few shoddy pics of the rear heater parts: