Subs under seat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark L

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 & 1986
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250ci Inline 6 Baby! & Neck Snapping 305!
Guys I am brand new here and this may have already been covered, but have any of you ever tried mounting subs under the bench seat? I have been looking at all of the space under the seat and just wondering how it would work.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
There's not a lot of room under there for air space, and even less for mounting depth. I've never personally tried it. I have however build a box for a customer a few years back that just had to have a 15" sub behind a bench in a newer dodge single cab. He also didn't want his drivers seat forward at all so we built a box behind the seat ,and went under the bench seat just for the air space, and that worked pretty well.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
There isn't enought room under the seat for anything really... Behind the seat is much better... Unless the 70s trucks have more room under there, that I do not know

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
They do sell those underseat subs, but they mostly just vibrate more than produce sounds. You might be ablel to get an 8" shallow mount under there that could hit (depending on how low the bass is you're playing). Pioneer makes one that only needs 0.4 cu. ft and rated down to 30Hz. If you can get a box that's 12x12x5 under there, that's all you need. I do think going behind the seat is a better option.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
One high quality sub and amp in a good box can sound better than all the subs you can fit in a vehicle anywhere you can wedge them.

Mark L

Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 & 1986
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
250ci Inline 6 Baby! & Neck Snapping 305!
In my 73 there seems to be more room under the seat than behind the seat, that's why I was asking. I bought a cheap speaker box from an auto parts store that has 2 6" speakers and 2 tiny tweeters built in it, that I put behind the seat and with the seat all the way back it's so muffled that you can barely hear it. I'm in the process of mounting 2 6 X 9s in the corners and was just weighing the options of where to mount the sub that would be the most beneficial. Thanks for the responses, I am enjoying tinkering with this old truck.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
Behind the seat is only a place for the subs because every thing else will sound muffled back there. The mids and highs can't go through the seat

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
if i were you id get 2 12s behind the seat. unless ur just set on having them under the seat. i personally have soundstreams sst4.0's mounted in my dashpad (took a little cutting) and sst6.9's in the corners with 2 kicker cvt12's behind the seat. i plan on doing a custom fiberglass dashpad in order to put 2 5 or 6 inch speakers there. but i dont even have an amp yet but i am still impressed with the bass and i only have to scoot the seat up 1 notch. i am 6'1" and it is fine with me. if need be the box could be made thinner in order to put the seat all the way back tho.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
One high quality sub and amp in a good box can sound better than all the subs you can fit in a vehicle anywhere you can wedge them.

I agree here. I don't like giving up my space behind the seat either. One good quality sub in a good quality box either in the center or to the right of behind the seat should be good. Then do your normal good quality door speakers and maybe a tweeter in each of the windshield posts with the small speakers cut into the dash. I think that's where I'm leaning towards.
Any opinions on how that would sound? Anyone ever done a system like that?

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
I agree here. I don't like giving up my space behind the seat either. One good quality sub in a good quality box either in the center or to the right of behind the seat should be good. Then do your normal good quality door speakers and maybe a tweeter in each of the windshield posts with the small speakers cut into the dash. I think that's where I'm leaning towards.
Any opinions on how that would sound? Anyone ever done a system like that?

With the tweeter and the speaker in the dash are you talking about doing a component system? Unless you want all out sound quality you probably will be fine with a regular coax. I consider myself picky with good quality sound but am perfectly satisfied with how my non component speakers sound. If you put a set in the door and a set in the dash I think that would be good. Although i would recommend the rear corners for speakers instead of the door... It really is all up to how good you want it to sound and how much you want to spend tho. And btw a sub to the right of you would make the bass sound like it is all coming from the right, unless you have regular speakers that are large enough to reproduce high bass, which will create the illusion that the bass is coming from all around.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I thought bass is non directional so does it matter where the sub is? I do like the idea of the rear corners better. I know the OEM corners are a wierd size, but I think I've seen where some made 6x9's work in the corners too. I'd love to avoid the doors if possible. I don't like hacking up doors for speakers, but sometimes you gotta.

Last edited:

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The factory door speakers are 4"x10" if I remember correctly. After mine fell apart, I got a set of 6"x9" truck boxes and sat them in the corners. They're angled like behind the seat sub boxes and worked great. I think I got them from crutchfield.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
I thought bass is non directional so does it matter where the sub is? I do like the idea of the rear corners better. I know the OEM corners are a wierd size, but I think I've seen where some made 6x9's work in the corners too. I'd love to avoid the doors if possible. I don't like hacking up doors for speakers, but sometimes you gotta.

you are right to a degree but the subs can play higher frequencies than just low bass. you can tell where high bass is and mid bass to some degree. when i only had the 4 inch speakers in the dash i could definitely tell the bass was coming from my right. but if you have something like the 6x9 in the corners like i have it sounds like the bass is coming from all around. its an illusion, the 6x9s actually sound like they are putting out sub bass too. even though they only do high/mid bass. all of the high end audio guys put a low pass filter on their subs to keep high/mid bass from the subs and let the regular speakers do the mid/high bass. it creates an illusion of bass everywhere and brings the bass "forward" blah blah blah.... so basically some decent speakers in your corners will make the bass sound like it is more even and not on your right. i would recommend putting the sub behind you though or at the very least in the middle of the truck.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I can put it in the middle and likely will. Just whatever I need to reach behind the seat on the passenger side, I'll use the passenger door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69