Stupid dome light!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Okay y'all this is really ticking me off. Since I owned this truck the dome light has never worked. I put a bulb in it and it used to blow fuses but now it doesn't. I replaced the wiring pretty much. I tested the new harness out and it didn't light up at all. Never knew getting a damn light bulb to light would be this hard to do. Now here's where it gets weird. The under dash light lights up but the dome light won't and the Cig lighter works fine. The orange wire isn't hooked up and I can't seem to locate where it goes. I have not a clue what the hell this damn thing is doing. Has new door jams and wiring like I said. From looking at my manual if I hooked up the wiring how they want it I would blow a fuse cause I have had it that way before. Last time I get a chevy from a ford idiot lol. My multimeter says the wire is fine. And the multimeter is fine too. 200 dollar CAT multimeter. I love it. Has a built in temp gun. That comes in handy lol. Okay getting of topic now. So what the hell is going on?

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you have a cargo lamp for the bed of the truck or not? That would change how it is wired in the truck.

If you do then the cargo and dome lamp connect together behind the rear speaker on the driver side.

If not then dome lamp feeds into the door jamb harness to the driver door.

I used green for the "ground" and red for the "hot" side.

Last but not least, you are using a TWO post bulb in the dome lamp and a one post lamp in the courtesy light below the dash. If you use a one post bulb in dome lamp it will blow the T/L CTSY fuse every time.

Attachments

• Dome.jpg
    Dome.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

83_c10

Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well balls thats my problem. One post bulb. Oh yeah saw that one here last night. Oh my head is spinning with this truck but I think it's settling down now... I hope lol.

LocoLocal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Last but not least, you are using a TWO post bulb in the dome lamp and a one post lamp in the courtesy light below the dash. If you use a one post bulb in dome lamp it will blow the T/L CTSY fuse every time.
Old thread but bumping because I’m appreciative of the knowledge on this forum!

Drove myself crazy trying to track down a short blowing fuse after fuse while rewiring my dome light that appears to have been inoperable for years. Triple checked the wiring but kept blowing fuses when I tried to turn it on.

Searched the forum and found this post, then checked my light bulb - one post! Problem solved, and I’ve got a dome light now.

Thanks gmsquarebody!

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Make yourself one of these for chasing electrical shorts. Replace your fuse with this if the bulb lights you have a short and would blow a fuse. When your light will no longer light insert the fuse. 1 bulb vs 1000 fuses. The fuse box is hot the bulb becomes your load the short is the ground that lights the bulb or blows a fuse. Depending on whether you use a bulb or a fuse.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-09-09_121505.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-09_121505.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SquareInheretance