Stripping a 88 C1500 2wd full size truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
The truck is home now. So what parts should keep?

Here's my keep list:

Engine, trany, radiator, radiator support, fenders, hood, tailgate, bumpers, doors, steering column, radio unit, ac/heat controls, breather, parking lights, headlights, and wiring harnesses.

Here's list of uncertain parts to keep:

washer bottle, wiper motor, wiper arms, gas tank, driveshaft, coolant bottle, ac condensor, other ac parts, computer, 30 gallons of 5 year old for daily driver and heater core.

Last edited:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
If the wiper motor is a pulse motor, and it works, keep it. The pulse module likes to quit on those trucks and you have no wipers at an inopportune time. My minivan takes the same module and it quit at inspection time and was failed.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
If the wiper motor is a pulse motor, and it works, keep it. The pulse module likes to quit on those trucks and you have no wipers at an inopportune time. My minivan takes the same module and it quit at inspection time and was failed.

You mean a intermentate wipers?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
agrred, the bottles are cheap and should be changed for better looks, but who knows when yours might crack or something.

a/c condersor, somebody might want it keep it with the a/c stuff, if not ditch it.

gas that's 5 years old NO!!!!!!!!!!!! not even for a lawn mower, maybe to burn trash with but I wouldn't run it thru anything unless you like poor running stuff or cleaning carbs.

computer YES ppl want or need them all the time or might want it.

gas tank, if it doesn't leak YES, yours might rust and leak or somebody else's, should be at least $20-50 or so for it.

driveshaft yep, somebody might need it for another project. We paid $65 for one from a junkyard for dad's.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I dont know if the instrument cluster is worth keeping or not. Someone had external temperature gauge hooked at one time. This is the moonie gauge setup not needle.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
They're not very desirable... Most upgrade to later clusters. Not sure if that's electric or cable driven speedometer though.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
No one has let me near their '88 to find out if that is true or not!:flamingdevil:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I see guys all the time go to needles on other forums, not sure of what years or whatever you are limited to or by though.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I was told from the chevytalk forum that you couldnt upgrade to needle from moonie style gauges.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Whomever told you that Dave, is full of it. It's just a matter of repinning the connector and adding a few wires.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I too would not trust chevytalk, not just because I am trying to say they are dumb, because I'm not, it's just this...

a more gmt400 dedicated forum, where guys only work on or have these trucks, or whatever like 67=-72chevytrucks 88-98 section or gmt400.com they would know and could be trusted more then chevytalk which covers, basically anything chevy. Then as retro said maybe they are talking direct swap bolt in deal, and don't want to change a plug and etc.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Whomever told you that Dave, is full of it. It's just a matter of repinning the connector and adding a few wires.

How about I pull this one and take pics for you. Then you tell me if it can be done or not.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
I too would not trust chevytalk, not just because I am trying to say they are dumb, because I'm not, it's just this...

a more gmt400 dedicated forum, where guys only work on or have these trucks, or whatever like 67=-72chevytrucks 88-98 section or gmt400.com they would know and could be trusted more then chevytalk which covers, basically anything chevy. Then as retro said maybe they are talking direct swap bolt in deal, and don't want to change a plug and etc.

That could be true on the direct bolt in swap deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare