Strange york 209 compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Sorry if this doesn't belong here but we use yorks for an air source for air ride so lowered suspension seemed like a good catagory for this.

So I recently acquired a York and after inspecting the crank shaft it's for sure a 209. It pumps well and would make a great EDC I'm sure BUT...this thing is strange. I've never seen a York like this. It's unfinished for one thing which I guess someone could have just stripped it. However, the oil check holes in the sides of the cases that every York are supposed to have aren't there. There aren't even any provisions for them. Their actually located on the back of the compressor. Also the rear cover which should have 4 bolts holding it on are actually several flat head screws. This thing is supposed to be the completely stock unmolested pump off of an early 60's mercedes but I can't find any info on this thing at all. No one I've asked knows anything about it. Is it some rare pump that I shouldn't sell to someone that's going to use it for an air pump?? Any info would be great.
You must be registered for see images attach

In this last pic you can see the weird screws holding the back plate on and the oil add bolts on the back of the pump instead of the sides.
You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Looks like a vintage refrigeration compressor. Note the caps on the service valve stems.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That's aluminum isn't it? I was recently reading somewhere that the aluminum ones actually aren't a York. That's about all I remember though... doubt I helped any.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
I've never seen king valves on automotive ac stuff, but its very common and still in use on refrigeration stuff. So I'm gonna vote for its a compressor for a freezer truck.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
From what I've read York and Tecumseh both made basically the same AC compressor. The main difference being the yorks were aluminum case and the Tecumseh version used a cast iron casing.
This one being aluminum I'm assuming is a York. It was pulled off of a early 60's mercedes. That's all I know about it though. It just has a few details that aren't what every other York has that I've ever encountered which made me think maybe this was something rare or at a minimum trying to figure out why it's different.
I really wish there was more info available on vintage yorks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've never seen king valves on automotive ac stuff, but its very common and still in use on refrigeration stuff. So I'm gonna vote for its a compressor for a freezer truck.

I've seen them on a number of vehicles. Jeep Wagoneers come to mind. And a lot of older cars and trucks with aftermarket AC.

From what I've read York and Tecumseh both made basically the same AC compressor. The main difference being the yorks were aluminum case and the Tecumseh version used a cast iron casing.

I won't bet on it, but I think it's the other way around? I passed up a couple of them at the last swap meet because they were bare aluminum like what you have. I didn't know for sure what they were so I didn't gamble.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I thought the yorks were aluminum and I think that's actually the same article I learned that from. I have actually never come across a Tecumseh to date. All of the ones I've had have all been yorks. I guess I've just kinda learned what vehicles had them. They went on a lot of vehicles but not a lot of vehicles had the biggest version the 210. The best place I have found to find a 210 is Volvo and fords as far as I know. If anyone finds a York just pull the clutch and its super easy to figure out what model it is. The 208 had a rounded edge on the crankshaft, the 209 had a snap ring groove and the 210 is smooth with a sharp edge.

John-e Bravada

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 3+3
Engine Size
5.9L CTD
I still have three 210s in a box on my bench. Now I'm going to have to check them for flat bladed screws

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod