stepside tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Has anyone used the hideaway latches for the tailgate. That way you dont have to use the chains.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The problem I see with the latches is that with the chains gone, there's nothing to hold up the tailgate when it's open. I like the chains, it's just a part of owning an old truck, IMHO. I've thought about using those hidden latches but keeping the chains (tabs on bed would need cut off) to help keep the tailgate from rattling over bumps.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Thats true. I also thought about the chains issue. I was thinking you could fix something up with the cable setup . Not sure if it would work or not though

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thats true. I also thought about the chains issue. I was thinking you could fix something up with the cable setup . Not sure if it would work or not though

I have seen some of the older pickups with the sliding/folding bar setup.
It might be possible to convert Your tailgate over to that system.
I like the chains though, sort of a classy thing in My opinion. Not something You see everyday.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

I've seen a cable setup somewhere recently on a truck. I don't remember if it was at a car show or on the internet or what. It looked show truck nice, but not work truck strong.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
This will be more of a show truck. Im the fourth gen owner and im having our dog tags airbrushed on the back gate since all of us served.

On that note does anyone know if the LED light stip with brake, turn and reverse lights work good

chubble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Custom Deluxe K10
Engine Size
This will be more of a show truck. Im the fourth gen owner and im having our dog tags airbrushed on the back gate since all of us served.

On that note does anyone know if the LED light strip with brake, turn and reverse lights work good

With those...you get what you pay for. Nearly everyone I know who bought cheap Chinese ones had portions or the hole thing quit within 6-8 months.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Oh ok I seen the kit for it in LMC. Wasnt sure how good they were

tomtom1954

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scotsdale
Engine Size
Tailgate chains

Has anyone used the hideaway latches for the talg ate. That way you dont have to use the chains.
I would think the kit would eliminate rattles.Leaving the chains on also retains the old truck look.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man