Steering stabilizer removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JM in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
What’s the best way to remove the steering stabilizer on a stock V1500? The end closest to the front wheel is stuck solid. I know the bolt that goes through the long tie rod is tapered, which is probably part of the problem. I’ve banged on it with a hammer and heated it some with a torch. What’s next? Wheel puller of some kind?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
If not the above answer. Bigger hammer, then air hammer, if not, then torch it. Heat will also help.

WP29P4A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
Switch out the hammer for a small sledge hammer, far less effort. Or you could try the non cave man method.
You must be registered for see images attach

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
When beating on it and pullers fail, cut it flush and drill the center out with progressively larger bits.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts have a free tool loaner program, and they will have the puller for tie rods ends. It also works for your drag link ends. You may need to use an impact driver on the puller bolt, or just use a standard wrench to put it in tension and then tap very hard on the rod end to set up vibration that loosens the joint. You want to combine tension with vibration. A cheap pickle fork can also work, but you usually have to beat on it quite a bit.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Mine was stuck solid aswell. The only way I got it of successfully was to take the whole bar off and cut the shock shaft then set it up and some 4x4s on either side of it and two wacks and it was out.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you actually need to pull the stud in the tie rod? IE it’s messed up and won’t accept a new steering stabilizer?
Looked pretty stuck on our truck so I reused it and just slapped a new stabilizer on the old mount.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Mine was one unit. No bolt or threads on the end. And of course my new one didn't come with mounting hardware. So had to order a new one with the fancy bolt and sold the other one to my buddy.

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There is a better way to get those out, but it's not easier. The best way is to remove the tie rod and lay the mount portion on a solid metal surface, like a vice anvil. Then strike the side of the tie rod over top of the stud. It should pop right out. May take more than one strike. If it's severely stuck, grease both of the tie rod ends really good, then soak the entire tie rod in water for a couple days. Do the same thing striking the side of the tie rod. Believe it or not the water will loosen it up

PeterHutnick

Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Everyone has their formula. Mine is, soak with penetrant for 2+ days. I like Liquid Wrench, many swear by PB Blaster or ATF + acetone. Put the puller (like WP29P4A pictured) on it and tighten until the threads gall (or maybe just a little less ;-) ). Heat it until it just glows, then hit the part that the stud is stuck in on the side with your biggest "hammer" or your smallest "sledge". AKA Tonya 200. Wear hearing protection. When it lets go it can be LOUD.

I find that beating on the end of the stud is great for stress relief, but if the first couple of whacks don't get it, you're going to need to tension it with a puller then hit the thing that the stud is in, rather than the stud itself.

JM in KY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
Figured I'd give an update. Thanks to everyone that gave suggestions. I got a standard tie-rod end puller for about $10. I tightened it over the bolt until my eyes bulged out just a little, then whacked the side of the tie rod where the bolt went through with a regular hammer. Popped right out on the second hit. I replaced it with a Monroe unit. I like that they're made in the U.S.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Toby 406