steering link for a 4in lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
So i got my 4in rancho lift kit sittin in the bed of my truck.Springs,blocks,u bolts 6 shocks ect.My man says I need a drop link to get the steering geometry OK.What route do yall reccomend,He says the 3 bolt arm is the way to go.Boss says yup and give me 60$ more and he can order it. Any advice???

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea get it and use it. it's a raised steering arm and usually comes with the lift kit. I would guess it's a used kit or something? Even our cheap 4 inch rough country kit came with it and it only cost $300 new for the whole thing shipped.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The steering arm is cheap but can be a bitch to install. The drop drag link is easy to install but more expensive, so the steering arm is still the better way to go for 4" lift. I wish I was further along on my project I would have some parts up for sale you might want.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
So i got my 4in rancho lift kit sittin in the bed of my truck.Springs,blocks,u bolts 6 shocks ect.My man says I need a drop link to get the steering geometry OK.What route do yall reccomend,He says the 3 bolt arm is the way to go.Boss says yup and give me 60$ more and he can order it. Any advice???

Go for the steering arm with the three bolts , the S shaped (drop drag link) sucks (imo). I have used them before and you dont get as tight of steering with them as a stock drag link ( they rock side to side , so you lose some drop) , and the ends wear out quicker than the stock ones.

Soak the stock steering arm studs with P.B. blaster and remove the nuts , hit the arm downwords until the cones around the studs pop up (dont hit the tops of the studs).Hitting the arm upwards , or trying to pry it up wont work.When you see a cone pop up a little grab it with channel locks or whatever and unthread it off.When you get all three cones out you are go to go (cones go back in easy)

:patriot::grd:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Agreed, the drop drag link sucks. It's expensive, it's a PITA to adjust, and it doesn't correct the geometry. All it does is help the angle on the ends.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
You can set up crossover for about 400 bucks you'll definitely want it down the road. Also from experience if your frame is not cracked plate and brace it now. ORD sells the brace kit and you can either get the plate kit off e bay or ORD sells it too. Even if you are only running 33s or 35s I strongly suggest this. Mine cracked and its way more work after it cracks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It depends on driving style too. Mine are crackless and none have been braced. But, it's mostly street time and when maneuvering at low speeds, I lay off the brakes if I'm turning the wheel. If the front wheels can rotate freely, it takes a lot of the load off the steering box.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I always box the frame at the steering box area and have steel tubes inside the box where the bolts go through. I have cracked the frame before even after the frame kit was welded on. The box set up I have never cracked the frame again on any of my trucks.

:grd:

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
Cracked a frame repair kit too. You are right that you can baby it and keep it from cracking but any off road use whatsoever they will crack eventually. I dont think I can crack it with the frame brace and repair kit. Along with crossover. But I will find out sooner or later.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugRedC10