Steering Column Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sounds like one of you kanooks will be doing a 73-83 retrofit to 84 and up Multifunction switch column swap thread. Get after it. We've got room here for another tech thread.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Sounds like one of you kanooks will be doing a 73-83 retrofit to 84 and up Multifunction switch column swap thread. Get after it. We've got room here for another tech thread.

Just to confirm.. 84-87 correct?

VAk15

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC k15
Engine Size
Which problem? The rod slipped out of the switch or the ignition key tumbler needing replaced? I believe it's 89Suburban who has a tech write up on how to replace ignition key tumbler. I'm going to be having to do that myself real soon. I've already broke off 2 keys. The thumb ring has broke off the tumbler so all the pressure is on the key by itself now, and it's very hard to turn which is why the thumb helper ring broke off the cylinder.

The rod slipping out of the switch. I already tried a new tumbler and shes still doing the same thing. All accessories are on but key spins freely from lock to start and won't start the truck

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Sometimes the switch gets hard to move. Then the rod begins to bend with the added strain. So it's possible you might need to replace the ignition SWITCH itself down under the dash on the column. Normally the rod can be bent back into place after the new switch is installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53