Steering column inerchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Billy Wray

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
84 - 77
Truck Model
c10 k20
Engine Size
I have a 77 K20 what problems will I have if I use a newer column?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It depends on how newer we're talking. Like 1991 and older square body won't be a problem mechanically. Electronically, you've got the issue of wipers and dimmer switch. I'll go out on a limb and assume that the newest you mean is a pre-airbag GMT400 steering column. They are similar in appearance, but I know they are longer, and they are built differently. I can understand using a more modern square body column, but I don't know if the GMT400 would be mechanically or ergonomically feasible if it can be done.

Last edited:

Billy Wray

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
84 - 77
Truck Model
c10 k20
Engine Size
It depends on how newer we're talking. Like 1991 and older square body won't be a problem mechanically. Electronically, you've got the issue of wipers and dimmer switch. I'll go out on a limb and assume that the newest you mean is a pre-airbag GMT400 steering column. They are similar in appearance, but I know they are longer, and they are built differently. I can understand using a more modern square body column, but I don't know if the GMT400 would be mechanically or ergonomically feasible if it can be done.
Yes I don't mean newer like the newer body style I'm talking like a 84 and switching the wires over for the dimmer switch so it's the same as my 84 and 98 dimmers. But what concerns me is you said it would be longer, I don't want a longer column do I'd like it to be shorter if anything.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
No, the GMT400 is longer. The Rounded Line/Square Body one is the roughly the same. Yeah, the dimmer switch plugs are the same. I'm not sure about the intermittent wipers. I'm guessing you have the old Hi/Lo wipers so you'd need a motor with intermittent provisions, and all the wiring so you'll have to cite your donor truck for that. Actually, I think that may be it. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64