Starting Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jreed

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Silverado
Engine Size
this is my first post here, and Ive got a 1980 C10 with a 350 and am having starting problems with. Truck has been sitting for a year and i just dropped a new battery into it. Pulled the starter, had it tested, and everything checks out. Verified the ground to the chassis is clean and tight, the cable to the starter is clean and tight, and even replaced a number of wires from the harness due to insulation cracks. still, she wont turn over. I know ive got electricity to everything else, but i dont even get a click from the starter. Could it be the ignition switch? Neutral Safety Switch? i seem to remember a trick for putting the truck in neutral and gapping the terminals on the starter solenoid, but dont remember the details and dont feel like burning anything up. If the ignition switch is bad, do i have to take apart the entire column? or is there an easier way to pull it?

Any help would be appreciated, guys.

friscobob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 10
Engine Size
Try holding the clutch pedal down, not sure when that nonsense started. Mt '81 had that switch, removed it almost first thing. You could try a remote starter switch just to know if the starter really works.
Bob

jreed

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Silverado
Engine Size
the truck is an auto, any other ideas?

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
The neutral safety switch is on the bottom of the column outside, on the top. I think the actual ignition switch is down there also and it is a rod that goes from the key to the switch but I'm not 100% certain.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
You also have a slide switch down on the steering column , I have seen those go out before.

jreed

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Silverado
Engine Size
Will the steering wheel/entire housing have to come off to access the ignition switch, or is there an easier way?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No, you will need to loosen the two bolts that hold
the column to the dash mount. Look under the hood, under the master cylinder and loosen the two bolts that hold the column support bracket. Back inside the cab loosen the bolts that hold the column cover seal to the fire wall. That should allow you to lower the column and access both switches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Have you checked the fusible link to the starter? Just throwing that out there?

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

jreed

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Silverado
Engine Size
I will check the fusible link tonight after i drop the column...that sounds A HELL OF ALOT easier than taking apart the entire thing. Thanks for the help guys, this truck has had me going nucking futs for the last week.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
While under the truck to check starter connections, have someone turn the key to START and verify 12 VDC at the "S" terminal on the solenoid. The wire should be purple. The purple wire might be connected to the "R" terminal - depends on whether you have an HEI system.

You must be registered for see images attach

NOTE: If you do observe that there is power to the solenoid (via the purple wire) when the key is turned to "START" - you have verified correct operation of the ignition switch and the NSS (if equipped).

If you are getting power from the ignition switch (in START) via the purple wire and also power on the big cable from the battery - that's about it, the starter should crank.

If it does not - thoroughly inspect the main cables (from the battery to the starter and the engine ground connection). Old cables can appear to be in great shape from the outside while the copper conductors within the insulation have failed.

jreed

Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for the help, guys....Got her started! replaced the ignition switch and she fired right up. Went ahead and replaced a considerable amount of wiring on the harness, new master cylinder and valve, new cables/plugs, dist., and ran a new fuel line to the carb. She's running like a top!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade